• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

News Story of the week (a humorous look at the news)

Legohead

Banned
On the one hand I can't believe they've put a crowdfunder online to ask for money whilst on the other hand I can't believe they've got nearly 3k so far! Might try it myself.

Looking through the donations it is also heartwarming to see that there are so many generous non judgemental people out there willing to help.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
They didn't, you're absolutely right, but the state should also not be beholden to people who can't keep it in their pants.
A dangerous can of worms there Jason. :( Would be interested to see what your own solution would be (with proper "workings" of course)

1) For all those less fortunates already born, a return to "Victorian Values" with attendent workhouses and soaring infant mortality. Sure there would probably be some "market"in the private adoption sector for the luck few who are photogenic (and undamaged) enough but what about the rest? If not "the state" then who??

2) And as for those stereotipical "feckless families" of the type so beloved by the likes of The Daily Heil? A compulsory "fitness for purpose" test followed by compulsory sterilisation at puberty? Who sets the rules and standards and adjudicates in all of inevitable multitude of cases?

It all sounds frighteningly close to eugenics to me.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't claim to have a solution. Family planning and basic maths are things that should be ingrained at an early age. The state is there to provide a safety net for those unable to help themselves.

Legohead

Banned
A limit on the number of children that people can have is an option. I would have thought most people would be content with one, two, maybe even three kids but beyond that should be illegal. Unless it's quads or anything like that.

The problem then is though that stupid people won't be able to stick to this rule and thus abortions will go through the roof which obviously isn't acceptable.

Benefits caps punish large families because there isn't enough money to go round.

The other option is to put children in care but then there aren't enough foster carers, the care services are pretty terrible and the kids might be split up and that's a last resort. Given the state of childrens services in 2019 it might be better for some kids leaving them with the original families.

It's a growing mess and there isn't an easy answer or solution.

DB9

A limit on the number of children that people can have is an option. I would have thought most people would be content with one, two, maybe even three kids but beyond that should be illegal. Unless it's quads or anything like that.

The problem then is though that stupid people won't be able to stick to this rule and thus abortions will go through the roof which obviously isn't acceptable.

Benefits caps punish large families because there isn't enough money to go round.

The other option is to put children in care but then there aren't enough foster carers, the care services are pretty terrible and the kids might be split up and that's a last resort. Given the state of childrens services in 2019 it might be better for some kids leaving them with the original families.

It's a growing mess and there isn't an easy answer or solution.
Think China did that with their one child rule, Unfortunately that enabled people to want boys than girls,. You need to read up on what happens to unwanted baby girls in China, It is very frightening and abhorrent. Don't believe the hype about" Not enough money to go round" it's just not true. It is about social and parental responsibility, Grown ups should know that bringing a child into this world is difficult and costly. Putting the kids into care will only cost more and would do those children no good at all, It would become a viscous cycle, They would be taught they're no good, a burden on the rest, Just like the Victorians did to the poor, Then people would suggest that they set up places where the poor would live and work and run by charities, Workhouses, So they're out of sight and mind of their "Betters" I don't know the answers to this problem but to punish them is not the answer

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
6 kids here worked all my life Mrs did part time work between dropping kids off and picking them up to and from school decent holidays/cars for the family like to think I live within my means when needed and haven't really ever needed to say you cant have this or that because I couldn't afford it for them.

26 AND 25 is no age to be having 7 kids when you have no viable means to support them, I know of a few younger people who seem to think having a few kids is a state paid for job only for the kids to suffer somewhat.
There will be numerous families around the country struggling with income especially at this time of year but most knuckle down buy cheaper gifts and get through another festive season without having to broadcast it to anyone gullible enough to put money into an endless pit.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Putting the kids into care will only cost more and would do those children no good at all, It would become a viscous cycle, They would be taught they're no good, a burden on the rest, Just like the Victorians did to the poor
Not all kids put into the care system gets in the viscous cycle , My brother in law was put into care at a tender age and is probably a better person for it as he knew he wasn't going to end up like the other kids in care, Served his country and a valued member of the community.

DB9

6 kids here worked all my life Mrs did part time work between dropping kids off and picking them up to and from school decent holidays/cars for the family like to think I live within my means when needed and haven't really ever needed to say you cant have this or that because I couldn't afford it for them.

26 AND 25 is no age to be having 7 kids when you have no viable means to support them, I know of a few younger people who seem to think having a few kids is a state paid for job only for the kids to suffer somewhat.
There will be numerous families around the country struggling with income especially at this time of year but most knuckle down buy cheaper gifts and get through another festive season without having to broadcast it to anyone gullible enough to put money into an endless pit.
Mate, I wish the younger people of today would look back and see how their Parents/Grandparents managed, To learn how to budget, forego stuff if you couldn't afford it. I do realise its different times and things have moved on, But for the better? I'm not so sure. You're right not all kids that go into care end up in the system for the rest of their lives and i did generalise a bit but while there are stories of kids coming from care doing good there are probably more of kids in the care system and when they move onot adult life slip through any safety net and end up in places you wouldn't want anyone to end up in. Children only learn from what is around them, They see their parents and think this is the way life is, I know its a bit "Nanny State" but some parents need help/classes to raise kids, In some cases its kids having kids with no support network and those are the ones that slip through

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Rosencrantz