• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County v Exeter City Matchday Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was my view of it too. Saw the player on the ground and ran straight for him to get himself tripped up in the melee.
What bollox!!! You must think a modern day referee is really stupid to fall for that! I just read Taylor's after match comments on Devonlive. He was none to happy with the referee (I think he gets a feel of what to say from exeweb) but he does say that was a definite penalty! No complaints!

PeteUSA

Have I read this incorrectly or have you criticised Richardson for not taking advantage of the situation and winning a penalty, whilst also criticising a Newport player for doing exactly that?

You dont "win a penalty". If you're fouled by an opponent to the extent that you go down in the area, then its a penalty. Players dont set out to win anything. Todays refereeing talking point is missplaced. It was a near thing with the challenge you're talking about but contact was avoided by the defender. If the referee had given a spot kick for that there would be rioting in the streets FFS!

Youtube highlights for all the penalty doubters..

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

I don’t think it’s has been mentioned,there was a minutes applause for a Newport supporter who passed away last week aged 102.
Beside Mr Jones remarkable age & the fact he was still selling Poppy’s at the age of 101,he was a survivor of Auschwitz & had played in the camps football team.
He had been captured in Italy in 1943 whilst serving with the Welch Regiment & ended up in a Concentration Camp..Remarkable.
The excellent 736 Grecian away following played their part in acknowledgement of his life.

geoffwp

He may not have been stupid Pete and as i did not/have not seen the incident i cant comment. What i will say though is the quality of referees in L2, their decision making and running of the game , appears extremely inconsistent and completely varied. Its almost as if they all come at it from a wide range of starting points with a massive amount of individual interpretation. One will give a penalty for a situation where another wouldn't. One will give a yellow card where another will ignore or just warn. One will allow a game to flow where another will be constantly stopping. No consistency across the group.
Oh, and i do believe there are players who will look to 'win' a penalty ie will deliberately set out to fool a referee into giving a penalty by acting or diving.

Last edited:

PeteUSA

I don’t think it’s has been mentioned,there was a minutes applause for a Newport supporter who passed away last week aged 102.
Beside Mr Jones remarkable age & the fact he was still selling Poppy’s at the age of 101,he was a survivor of Auschwitz & had played in the camps football team.
He had been captured in Italy in 1943 whilst serving with the Welch Regiment & ended up in a Concentration Camp..Remarkable.
The excellent 736 Grecian away following played their part in acknowledgement of his life.

Its a pity a minutes silence has been replaced by a minutes applause, just because of one or two cretins in the crowd, but none the less well observed by all present.

PeteUSA

He may not have been stupid Pete and as i did not/have not seen the incident i cant comment. What i will say though is the quality of referees in L2, their decision making and running of the game , appears extremely inconsistent and completely varied. Its almost as if they all come at it from a wide range of starting points with a massive amount of individual interpretation. One will give a penalty for a situation where another wouldn't. One will give a yellow card where another will ignore or just warn. One will allow a game to flow where another will be constantly stopping. No consistency across the group.

I totally agree Geoff; Referee's in the lower leagues are wide ranging in quality, look at the one we had in midweek versus todays; chalk and cheese. They're in short supply Geoff, nobody wants to do it. The linespeople are from lower leagues than ever before.

Oldsmobile-88

Its a pity a minutes silence has been replaced by a minutes applause, just because of one or two cretins in the crowd, but none the less well observed by all present.
Agree in principle.
A minutes silence is more powerful.
In todays case a minutes applause in recognition of a remarkable life was entirely appropriate.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
That's a very harsh penalty. Parkes wasn't challenging for it and he couldn't get out of the way because he was on the floor.
Striker made a complete meal of it and tbh should have been done for simulation. Very very harsh.

STURTZ

Thought it was more to do with celebrating a person's life rather than mourning his death. There's no tragedy in somebody dying at 102!

hardi2b

Have I read this incorrectly or have you criticised Richardson for not taking advantage of the situation and winning a penalty, whilst also criticising a Newport player for doing exactly that?
Given the way the Newport game-play had devolved into opportunistic falling over it stuck me that if that it was a player such as Bowman he could have got a pen out of the situation, hence I chose to label it "naivety or lack of gamesmanship". Just crossed my mind like as a valid comment, hope it settles your apparent confusion over the matter.

p.s Thank you for giving my post your consideration.
Cheers Colin.

Last edited: