• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Newport County v Exeter City Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
who, for the most part, had a decent game. This was very difficult to referee. you could argue Law should have been sent off, and technically that was probably a second yellow but it wasn't much of a foul.
I agree that the physical intensity of the match made it hard to referee so I don't want to criticise him too much but he got a number of key decisions wrong, for example booking Archie Collins when it was barely a free kick in the first place. In the build-up to their penalty Jake Taylor looked to have been fouled and, from what I could see, Parkes was lying on the floor and their player dived over the top of him for the penalty.

jimmy

I am pleased there is a week off after that one. Brutal.

Very hard earned point. Well done all.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hate teams like Newport- they somehow manage to draw free kicks from their own physicality. Exeter try and play football but every single tackle from Newport was borderline or worse. When you add a ref of today’s calibre, it’s amazing to come away with a point. Ref genuinely gave us nothing today against a bunch of bloody thugs; his lack of punishment just enables teams like Newport to bully & shove their way past teams. Well done city
I still prefer a physical team like Newport to the gamesmanship of Leyton Orient last week. You know what you going to face when you play them, especially at their place on their small pitch, and we stood up to it brilliantly. For all their possession in the second half I can't recall Lewis Ward actually having to make many saves.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Argyle are 14th:ROFLMAO:

exeter-loyal

Argyle are 14th:ROFLMAO:
And we're still TOP, lovely!!

Reactions: DB9

grecianfaniow

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I hate teams like Newport- they somehow manage to draw free kicks from their own physicality. Exeter try and play football but every single tackle from Newport was borderline or worse. When you add a ref of today’s calibre, it’s amazing to come away with a point. Ref genuinely gave us nothing today against a bunch of bloody thugs; his lack of punishment just enables teams like Newport to bully & shove their way past teams. Well done city
The reality is that in Div 2 a lot of teams use brute force and ignorance. It's hard to go out and play football when the opposition will just kick you up.in the air.
And I fear that many refs are homers and will do nothing about it.
Matt has been saying all along that this is the way it is, which is why he brought in Parkes (and Warren). Although I'm happy with our midfield I wonder if sometimes we need to play a Graham Parker or Clive Whitehead type to fight fire with fire.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The reality is that in Div 2 a lot of teams use brute force and ignorance. It's hard to go out and play football when the opposition will just kick you up.in the air.
I think that's possibly a little harsh. Like Lincoln, last season Newport are very good at what they do even if I wouldn't particularly want to watch their style of football every week. After years watching us being bullied out of it in games like this it's just great to see a City team standing up for themselves and giving as good as they get while still trying to play some passing football.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Still top and undefeated, ten games in and ten points and thirteen places above the Slime, as a City fan you couldn't ask for much more ! Lovely jubbly !

Red faced

And I fear that many refs are homers and will do nothing about it.
Matt has been saying all along that this is the way it is, which is why he brought in Parkes (and Warren). Although I'm happy with our midfield I wonder if sometimes we need to play a Graham Parker or Clive Whitehead type to fight fire with fire.
There are lots of team like it because it’s effective at this level and tbf to Newport they’re one of the best. I noticed today though that , compared the last season, we didn’t fold or choke. Last year it looked like we were completely intimidated by them. Yes a Clive whitehead is def needed fo4 games like these