• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

New year - new rant

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
To Phil:

No, of course they can be challenged, but whether such a challenge will have any effect or not is open to question. The phrase "life's too short" springs to mind...;)

Grecian_Jay

I have a few questions for Grecian Jay, ********,wemissmoxey etc. These are genuine questions with genuine interest and I’m not trying to get at you. Do you really enjoy supporting city? Have you ever been happy with them? And lastly what are you expectations of us?

I’m probably seen by most as a bit of a rose tinter but I also try to be realistic. We are a small club with a small budget out on a geographical limb. We have to be realistic at our limits. Whilst it would be amazing to see us go up again I don’t think it would be the best thing for us. Look at Argyle. We are competing at this level and on the whole competing well especially when you compare the resources we have to some of the other teams in this league.

Even when we win or play well you are either quiet or find something negative. How is this beneficial to the team or anyone for that matter. Do you actually want us to stay up this season or would you rather we go down just so you can say I told you so? Surely it is better to unite positively behind city and the players. They are only human and I have no doubt are doing their upmost to drag us up the table and the best thing we can do is unite behind them and be a 12th man. Not show symptoms of disindividuation where we think we can hurl all kinds of abuse from a crowd as if they aren’t real people.

I refuse to believe that we are worse now than some years ago. Tisdale in my opinion has done amazingly - working to a budget and achieving 2 promotions whilst playing a good brand of football which has been recognised by many peers. It doesn’t even compare to some of the dark days like cramming into the old cow shed whilst the big bank was shut with people shouting Foxy or Blakey out. Where we have come from as a club is notable and even you should be able to acknowledge that on some level. Sure you can’t be as miserable as you come across in all aspects of your life?

Anyway that’s my rant over. As I said it wasn’t meant to be confrontational – more out of genuine interest as to your mindset.
I will humour you with a reply, however you're post was intended to be snide and/or confrontational.

Poults has pretty much covered it with his essay. I do have high expectations, this stems from life outside football but why shouldn't one show some ambition and demand the best possible. I don't expect City to get promoted every year and winning every week, I do however expect 100% commitment at every single moment from every single player. I am not seeing this currently and haven't done for sometime.

You can compare where we are now to where we were 5 years ago all you want but all that is history, history is irrelevant in todays game. Should Man City accept finishing 10th say just because 10 years ago they were in Div 2? Should Wigan just accept relgation coz they were a bottom div side a few years back? Of course not, you strive for the best possible no matter how big or small you are.

Do I enjoy supporting City? Generally of course I do, do I currently look forward to a City game? No, I can't remember the last time I left feeling that we gave it a good proper go. Generally I'm happy with where we are, I would take this position now at the end of the season but that is only because I think we are in freefall.

What pisses me off the most and often leads to my over-the-top negativity is praising sh*t or accepting mediocrity, this happens a lot on here. I think you'll find that every single negative, miserable moaner on here at one point or another has prasied the job Tisdale has done, however there are many rose tiners on here who can not say anything negative about Tisdale or the club even when it is true. People who say we play a decent style, people who think Noble is too clever for his team mates etc.

What people seem to refuse to accept is that myself (and other moaners) are on here because of one reason - We support City. We wouldn't be here otherwise, we bring a lot more to the table than someone like Anonymous for example as we actually talk football rather than just trying to insult people.

It seems now that it isn't allowed for someone to come on here and have a rant, and we all have to be positive all the time. That is not gonna happen.

Anyway I've probably written more than Poult's essay now so that's me done on this subject.

Big Nose

I will confess to being pro Noble, although he can be very frustrating and was dire against Scunny.
I can't agree that he's a luxury though. He is the one player in the side capable of protecting the ball when in posession and while this is often seen as slowing the play down its preferable to simply hooking the ball blindly upfield and it coming straight back again. Often he holds it as noboby is giving him an option.
As for not winning tackles, he chased back won a great sliding tackle in the first half which if Dunne had made we would all be praising his whole hearted commitment and saying what an inspiration he is.

Grecian_Jay

Grecian_Jay et al. are armchair premiersh*t fans with a sky sports season ticket and not the slightest clue about Exeter City and yet are convinced the sun shines out of their arseholes.
Now are you really that simple? You have dished out some pretty pointless 'insults' before but this one is my favourite.

Would an armchair Premiership fan go to City every week? Would he be on here all the time? I highly doubt that. I think you have well and truely proved that you have no football knowledge whatsoever so why don't you give up yeah.

grecianfish

I will humour you with a reply, however you're post was intended to be snide and/or confrontational.
Grecian_Jay - I really did not intend to be snide or confrontational. My questions were with genuine interest as to how you really feel about city and watching them whilst trying to get away from simple, abusive comments. Whilst I've been guilty of hurling the odd bit of abuse, I'm never snide. I hate snide comments with a passion.

Thanks for your response. You're entitled to your opion - I just don't agree or get my head around your way of thinking. Same to you as well Poults.

IndoMike

Sorry to bore you all, but here goes anyway...

Well, having been offline through the Christmas break, this is my first chance really to post since Wycombe on Boxing Day. I listened to most of the Colchester match but none of yesterday's match, so can't comment on the Yeovil match, but...

Frankly I was astounded at some of what I witnessed behind the goal at Wycombe. While I applaud the efforts of the "Siege" mob in terms of what they did (I couldn't join them on account of having a rather frightened daughter in attendance who only brightened up in the second half when we were sat with Al Crockford and young ECFC), it was the other stuff that really got my goat.

I have oft referred to "targets", the City "support" (and I use the term advisedly) seems to pick one and will have a go at them regardless. This isn't a new thing - I remember the day we lost at Tamworth in, I assume, 06/07, where it was the height of the anti-Buckle nonsense, and he was getting it in the neck for doing no worse than other players who were "praised for the effort".

In recent times the target has been Marcus Stewart - he was out of the side pre-retirement so the target became Paul Jones. He buggered off so the target became his namesake Billy. He got injured so the cycle turns back round to David Noble.

Case in point at Wycombe. Noble is surrounded by blue shirts. Sercombe, instead of spreading the play, whacks the ball shin-high 5 yards to him. All Noble can do is attempt to get the ball down before the three oppo players rob him. You'd think if anyone were to be berated it would be Sercs for the ridiculous poor pass, but no, a cacophany of "F***ing RUBBISH, Noble!" rang out from most of those around me.

Come the end of the game and a bunch of fans start berating Tisdale - those around me as we walked out were yelling about getting rid of Noble and getting a new captain. Notwithstanding the fact that IMO Noble was probably our best player - driving forward with purpose and the heartbeat of a lot of the good that we did that day. Not his fault Tully was torn apart by their winger and in Trotta they had someone who knew how to find the net with aplomb. Three chances, three goals. For the rest of the match I thought we pummelled them and had Bauza not faffed around for the penalty we'd have won. Ho hum.

Come Colchester and again we seemed to enjoy (by the evidence of the radio comms) the lion's share of possession, only to be undone by a combination of a couple of well-worked goals and the cynicism of the home defenders, unchecked by inadequate officials. Then Danny Coles (who in the games I've seen has barely put a foot wrong) gets himself sent off, suddenly it all comes out that he's the worst defender in christendom. People on FB mentioning that Exeweb has gone into meltdown.

And now today I come online after the break to find thread after thread berating individuals, the team, the management, the tea lady.

I never thought I'd get to the stage where I saw visiting Exeweb as a chore rather than something to look forward to, less so the stage where I saw watching a City match amongst the City "support" to be something to rile me up rather than be enjoyed. I have in recent years made a conscious decision not to visit Exeweb at least until the Monday morning after a Saturday game or the next morning after a midweek game, as the site becomes unbearable whether City win, lose or draw at that time.

If we win, it's "City are the greatest, take that you negative sods!" to which the negative sods reply about how lucky we were, or one win doesn't change things, or whatever.

If we lose, it's "City are the worst, take that you rose-tinters!" to which the rose-tinters reply about how unlucky we were, or one defeat doesn't change things, or whatever.

If we draw, repeat cycle for a defeat. Add in something about Target A, Coach B, Director of Football C, Atmopshere D, Crowd E, Youth policy F, etc.

In this dawning of a new era for Exeweb, is it too late to hope that there may be a modicum of rational thinking in the future? No? Shame.

Anyway, if you have made it this far, bravo, you obviously are as sad a git as I am. Just to summarise my views:

1. Let's think about our "targets", why are you targeting them for abuse? Do they justify it? Why? Do you think that yelling at them (especially when it isn't their fault) isn't counter-productive in the slightest?

2. Positivity breeds positivity. In 09/10, when relegation stared us in the face, a simple suggestion to get behind the team from the moment they stepped off the bus helped generate a positive atmosphere and, lo and behold, we lost only one more match all season. Same to an extent this season - Al Yates calls for a siege mentality, fans get behind players, lo and behold an upturn. Sadly my belief that the "organisation" of the siege into something of a "club" having diluted the impact somewhat holds firm.

3. What were people's expectations this season? We lost, through being a tiny fish in a comparatively big pond, several of our key players. People have complained that we haven't replaced them with players of equal quality. Well, duh! Ryan Harley has emerged as a top end Championship player. Paul Jones has been playing in the Championship and earning decent reviews. Matt Taylor rightly took the money and ran and is now a very good bet to be playing in the Championship next season. Cureton rightly took the money (and security of a long contract) and ran - although his return has been less than that of another current City "target", John O'Flynn. We lost these players by dint of having been successful last season, attracting the vultures with a lot more money than we can offer. Them's the breaks.

Anyway, apologies again. Off my chest now. Do carry on.
That is some of the most pointless, self-indulgent drivel I've read in many a year. I guess you must have been bored for an hour or needed some TLC.
Yes, football fans disagree sometimes. Yes, some football fans get p*ssed off when their teams plays drossfully (my word). Yes, we had better players last season.. There, 30 words is more than enough...

Last edited:

IndoMike

best post I've seen in ages Jason. Couldn't agree more and has restored my faith in exeweb. Lets get behind the boys and stay up this season. UTC!
You should get out more often...it's a load of cr*p

IndoMike

The issue is not so much the seeming target of individuals, it's the lack of reasoning, however, right or wrong it maybe, that doesn't come with it. It could be argued that I came into one of Jason's aforementioned groups when I was forever on Jonesy's case but I would back up what I was saying with some kind of justification (whether you thought I was right or wrong was, as always, open to debate and I was quite happy to have that with you).
It strikes me that most of those who have been targeted by Jason OP are the new generation of Exewebbers. You'd do well to heed what is being said as you might find then that Exeweb is a far more interesting read as you might just start to get some of the 'old skool' back who have a different slant on things and the debate would be enjoyable. They're not necerserily rose tinters either.
Well, if you're such an old fart and some banter upsets you so much, why not just move aside. There are many interesting debates on Exeweb, with young and old participating. The only difference is that the young have more energy and so communicate more expressively and eagerly. The times they are a-changing, Harris. Now, move your rocking chair closer to the fire, make sure your blanket is covering your knees, and dream of Maggie May.

wemissmoxey

I never thought I'd get to the stage where I saw visiting Exeweb as a chore rather than something to look forward to
Don't bother then Jason.

ps. I think in the main your op is a large pile of refuse, our fans dish out less abuse than most, as a club (including the supporters) we are very very tame.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Don't bother then Jason.
Jason is Exeweb's new drama queen... What a load of bollox...