• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Model kit Building (Hobby Thread)

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I only use their glue as the model cellar ( unfortunately closing end of September sadly after all these years!!) only stocked that, I do like Humbrol paints over Revell so stuck with them as im trying to build up my collection, I do use revell putty as it drys quicker and feels easier to sand to a smooth finish better than the Humbrol.

A guy in Wiltshire that I've been messaging suggests using PVA glue to stick glass parts on which I'm gonna try on this spitfire I'm building.
The guy in Wiltshire might be or know the model shop in Salisbury where I got my airbrush from, He certainly knew his stuff and wouldn't take time out for me unless I was serious about buying the thing, Once he knew I was he really talked me through using it

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
With the liquid glues if you don't get it right on glass parts it goes opaque and ruins the effect but with pva going clear when dry it lessens that.

This is one of the guys on youtube I've been watching for some useful tips with weathering effects

Stelios

I only use their glue as the model cellar ( unfortunately closing end of September sadly after all these years!!) only stocked that
Yes I saw the building for sale on Rightmove. Sad to see.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-83195918.html

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not wanting to be nasty but if he is selling up and moving on is he moving to new premises or getting out altogether ? Maybe time to pay him a visit and potential bargains !

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
He's retiring I believe and will do model shows and the like. But having a physical store is not in his plans.. Saying that he is a little backward in his thoughts of selling online. He won't ship paints or liquids and wont sell on ebay or amazon. Only his website that he is running down apparently. He has some fantastic kits and equipment in that shop. I just think he's stuck in his ways and now only concentrating on shows and clubs.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thing is Lez a lot of the kits in there are quite old and possibly a bit out of date for younger modellers to get the fever with like I did in my youth.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
That is true, he does have the quick fit kits from Airfix in there which is a good start for anyone.

GrecianLez

Administrator
Staff member
Whilst waiting for different blue paint for the McDonnel Douglas I’ve started this spitfire today. Not the best fit as where the pilot should be glue in its too wide so lowered him slightly to get it to fit

Attachments

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Whilst waiting for different blue paint for the McDonnel Douglas I’ve started this spitfire today. Not the best fit as where the pilot should be glue in its too wide so lowered him slightly to get it to fit
The pilot already glued and looking painted, Not painting the fusalage first while in pieces Lez? Wont it be more diffulct to paint later?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
Couple of questions Lez ...
you painted the pilot while sat in the cockpit ?
that bit in front of the cockpit needs filler sometimes easier to use a bit of the sprue cut down to size then 1200 wet n dry paper.
have you got a really good fine model saw ? I use to cut open the flaps on wings to give them a better look.

The ship I'm building has approx. 18 parts that need cutting out of plastic card to make part of the focastle which is about 1 1/2 inch long with my clumsy fingers its handy to have a model jig with numerous crocodile clips attached