• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor is the new boss

Thinking about this a bit more it will be very interesting to see who the club appoint as Director of Football to replace Perryman as that could make or break the success the club sees going forward. What I do not want to see is somebody from within the 'club' to get the job, it HAS to be somebody from outside the club with fresh contacts and ideas who can add value rather than somebody just getting a promotion. IF we get the right person then we could have the best of both worlds in that you have somebody who knows the club inside out, has the support of the fans, knows the players and knows the young players coming through partnered up with somebody who has a different set of contacts in the game and different ideas who can help freshen things up which is arguably needed whilst being an experienced sounding board and support for Taylor.

You would have to assume that there is money available for the right appointment as well as Taylor is unlikely to be on the same wage as Tisdale and with Perryman's wages thrown into the mix along with the fact Taylor was already on the payroll anyway as a coach there should be a significant funds available for the right candidate.

Last edited:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good in respect to the continuity of the club's ethos, on the managing side of it though I can't help but think he will need some assistance from an experienced manager as an assistant, dof or both........zidane as dof?
Tend to agree with the comment regarding assistance but a very good choice. He knows the Club inside out and is totally committed to continuing the youth policy. Also it maintains the overall stable nature of the Club and will go a long way to keeping the best of the present squad together.

To honest when you looked at the managers available who might have been interested, apart from Rossler, McDermott and possibly Holloway there were no others who made you think wow I hope he applies.

Well done to all involved in making this decision so swiftly so everyone ourselves as supporters but in particular the players were not kept on tender hooks wondering how their continued involvement with the Cub was going to pan out whilst any new outside manager was settling in and running the rule over the existing playing staff.

Intheknow84

At least the 100k plus saved on manager wages could bring in another quality player

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
At least the 100k plus saved on manager wages could bring in another quality player
What are we paying Taylor?

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thinking about this a bit more it will be very interesting to see who the club appoint as Director of Football to replace Perryman as that could make or break the success the club sees going forward. What I do not want to see is somebody from within the 'club' to get the job, it HAS to be somebody from outside the club with fresh contacts and ideas who can add value rather than somebody just getting a promotion. IF we get the right person then we could have the best of both worlds in that you have somebody who knows the club inside out, has the support of the fans, knows the players and knows the young players coming through partnered up with somebody who has a different set of contacts in the game and different ideas who can help freshen things up which is arguably needed whilst being an experienced sounding board and support for Taylor.

You would have to assume that there is money available for the right appointment as well as Taylor is unlikely to be on the same wage as Tisdale and with Perryman's wages thrown into the mix along with the fact Taylor was already on the payroll anyway as a coach there should be a significant funds available for the right candidate.
mate ,, i suspect when you WANT a football director they will be expensive , when one appears if you get my drift the deals on a diferent footing .best wait or use oakley, he's smart enuf and 20 yrs of contacts

Devonbean

I believe that the club, board and trust have done very well..... very happy with this appointment. Looking forward with great excitement now to the new season.
Great news. I met Matt once and thought he was a very pleasant chap. Certainly liked him as a player.
Just hope he is not Tisdale like with his tactics.
Good luck Matt Taylor.

Anonymous

Well-known Exeweb poster
Very happy with that.

Taylor was never the quickest on the pitch but he was always one step ahead of everyone else. Intelligent player, hopefully he transfers that into management.

Delighted with that. At the very least he will make sure the defence and goalkeepers are on their toes!

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
My only concern is his inexperience and the fact that Perryman has gone means there's currently no-one to fall back on or bounce ideas off.
Just because there's no Director of Football named, doesn't necessarily mean Matt Taylor is completely isolated - I'm confident that the club will make sure he has all the support and resources he needs.

Personally, I'd like to see Scott Hiley welcomed back into the fold in some sort of advisory role - I got the feeling he and Tis never saw eye-to-eye...

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
What are we paying Taylor?
We'll never know for sure, but I'd bet my left ******* that it's a damn sight less than we were paying Tis.

thermopylai

I am utterly relieved at this. Matt would have been my first choice: someone who knows the club, respected by fans. As some have said, this is also the best appointment to start healing the rift between fans.

From various things I have heard and read, I reckon the Club Board handled Tis' departure, or the contract negotiations, rather poorly. But they have done exactly the right thing here - appointed the best choice for the post, and done so quickly, allowing the club and fans to move on as soon as possible.