• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Marcus Stewart: The Man, The Legend

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he had called it a day after helping us to promotion, I am sure I could recall a few good memories, for instance he did look like a reliable penalty taker until he missed one and gave it up.

As it is, the abiding memory has to come from the last two seasons and that is scoring the goal at Carrow Road (a tap in) and the abuse that followed for a former Ipswich legend.

BASH

when he came on last game against huddersfield his experience and performance kept us up.

wemissmoxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
when he came on last game against huddersfield his experience and performance kept us up.
Ryan Harley kept us up.

If we had gone down Stewart would have been one of the contributing factors over the course of the season, at times it was like playing with ten men.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Carlisle away last season. Being battered by Carlisle. Marcus goes down in the box and gets up and puts the spot kick in to the back of the net. Possibly his 200th league goal. But 3 very important points.

Cravat 2

Ryan Harley kept us up.

If we had gone down Stewart would have been one of the contributing factors over the course of the season, at times it was like playing with ten men.
It's a team game Monkey Boy!

BASH

Ryan Harley kept us up.

yes harley scored but they would have destroyed us if marcus didnt come on he held the ball when no one else was.

Thought he was absolutely awesome in the 2-0 win of Leeds United. Competed for everything in the air and held the ball up beautifully.

He's had a superb career and should be respected for that.

Agree with that. We saw a glimpse of what he must have been like in 2000 and being The Prem top scorer or near as. Excellent game.

And for all those who slag him off 1) It must be just a coincidence that when he arrived Exeter's success took off and 2) He didn't pick the team. Myself and my beer belly would also take to the pitch if Tisdale asked as would yours.

He was sh1te though for a fair few games. Too lightweight now.

denny

Rochdale away March 2009

Ian Tarr

Made a major contribution in our L2 promotion season.

A game that sticks in my mind was the win at Kenilworth Road.

We went 2-0 up early on through Sercs and Stanno (or was it Stanno and Sercs?), but came under a fair amount of pressure for a lot of the remainder of the game.

While we defended well, we seemed to struggle to retain possession, with the honourable exceptions of Gilly (typically) and Marcus.

During that seond half he drew six or seven fouls from the opposition -- no exaggeration -- a great example of the way he was able to take the pressure off his team.

I'd agree with many that he has played on a tad too long, but that shouldn't detract from an outstanding career, and it's been a pleasure for me to see him wear our colours.

Northants Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
But was it or was it not the equaliser or did that make it 1-0 to you.
no - opening goal .. we went one nil up early ... conceded a couple of soft goals then Harley equalised down the other end after a melee in the box to finish 2 all ...

So the way we often play in other words ...