• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Marcello Bielsa - Leeds United Manager

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
A lot of work to do there Indo :S
Too much work for the lazy feckers at the FA and FL, Ali.

Sidey's back

I think it should be only up to a referee to stop a game, not a player, then there would be no having to give the ball back from a restart, not, as Creds rightly says, you’re under any obligation to do so. Especially when the player gets up straight away.

Plus too, it really should be just for head injuries or serious injuries (which anyone with eyes in their head can see). Maybe also have a mandatory five minute period on the sidelines for any one that causes an injury stoppage, just to make sure they’re fully fit and able to continue.
That isn't true. Patrick Muamba's cardiac arrest being one.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I still think back with a wry chuckle at our match with Stevenage in our first Conference season.

Their 22 goes down, apparently dead. His team mates carry on regardless, so he springs back up. We intercept the ball, 22 goes down dying again. We play on while he dies, Santos Gaia scores.

Cue 22 rising phoenix-like again and sprinting 60 yards to confront the ref to tell him he's injured.

Anyway I haven't seen this incident so can't comment on the specifics, so a) if as noted above the Leeds player effectively stops to put the ball out then changes his mind, then fair enough, that's not really on. BUT b) play to the feckin' whistle. The ball isn't dead until it's out of play or the ref's whistle is blown.

One thing that irked me against Crawley the other week (apart from our shambolic first half "performance"!) was how their players would go down completely at random, and how the ref bought it each time. Their other new tactic, which I'm sure has been noted by a Mr G Ainsworth esq. of High Wycombe, was for players to go down "injured" when they were about to be subbed. That way not only would they break up play but the management could claim "He was genuinely injured, hence why we subbed him off"!

Oldsmobile-88

Yes,I recall the Stevenage incident..They were not happy,but the Grecians did nothing wrong & it was all the more sweeter as it was against a Graham Westley team.

An occasion we DID stop without the refs whistle & Tisdale of all people was annoyed was at Droylsden.A home defender was injured in the box,Moxey should have smacked the ball into the net but stopped because of the injury,Tisdale said Moxey should have carried on & when he scored then worry about the defender.
Newcastle in 1981,no one stopped then when a defender was prostrate in the 6 yard box playing everyone onside,he received treatment after the ball was put in the back of the net.No one in the Newcastle team batted a eyelid..

Oldsmobile-88

https://twitter.com/newportcounty/status/1123539383813050369?s=21

Note the Oldham player down in the penalty area(don’t know if he was injured or trying to pull a fast one)...Going for the win & not giving a toss about anything else.Just how it used to be.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
https://twitter.com/newportcounty/status/1123539383813050369?s=21

Note the Oldham player down in the penalty area(don’t know if he was injured or trying to pull a fast one)...Going for the win & not giving a toss about anything else.Just how it used to be.
That was neither nos 17 or 26. Very surprised!