• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know someone well who worked in the Health Service & one of the biggest problems is patients not turning up for appointments(with no explanation given !) with all of the knock on that that creates.
They usually make another appointment,so a double whammy.
I have recently worked at a doctor's surgery and telling patients that their GP has no appointments available at that time is so dispiriting. Then having advised that we have a same day service with an advanced nurse practitioner (who has access to GP if needed) for new ailments that need treating and booking them in (often after some persuasion) only for them not to show up doubles the dispiritment. And if you offer an e-consult turn the volume down on the phone.

They are trying hard to rearrange things to offer a decent service, but trying to attract enough GP's when there is a shortage makes it very difficult. You just know that you are not really offering a service that you are happy with. At best it is a "it will have to do" service for what we have.

Oldsmobile-88

I have recently worked at a doctor's surgery and telling patients that their GP has no appointments available at that time is so dispiriting. Then having advised that we have a same day service with an advanced nurse practitioner (who has access to GP if needed) for new ailments that need treating and booking them in (often after some persuasion) only for them not to show up doubles the dispiritment. And if you offer an e-consult turn the volume down on the phone.
It must be a very frustrating...A lot of people do not use the local chemist who give excellent advice or the Walk in Centres
The one in Sidwell St is excellent & thanks to the wonderful thorough clinician I saw a couple of years ago a serious health problem was detected & I dodged a bullet & to think it was nearly closed in 2012,places like that take the pressure off of GPs

Rosencrantz

It must be a very frustrating...A lot of people do not use the local chemist who give excellent advice or the Walk in Centres
The one in Sidwell St is excellent & thanks to the wonderful thorough clinician I saw a couple of years ago a serious health problem was detected & I dodged a bullet & to think it was nearly closed in 2012,places like that take the pressure off of GPs
It will take a generation to get over the cultural change of not having prompt access to your own GP. Some people are resigned to it or accepting the idea but a lot are not. I'm lucky that with my own GP Surgery you can generally get an appointment with a GP if you ring early enough on the same day, as they are better off for GP's than the surgery I worked at.

Most people are fine (or at least accepting to varying degrees of grudgingness). But more people kicked off harder than I ever had when I worked at HMRC which at least shows people still value their health over their cash 😉.

Last edited:

iscalad

Human nature is to respect something more if one pays directly for it. If it is seen to be “free” it is easy to abuse the privilege.

Not sure what the answer is to cut out this shocking waste though.
£200 fine will do it.

Alistair20000

£200 fine will do it.
Great in principle.

That said, when suggested, the reply is often that the costs of collection will be disproportionate and that those most likely to default on an appointment have no money.

iscalad

Great in principle.

That said, when suggested, the reply is often that the costs of collection will be disproportionate and that those most likely to default on an appointment have no money.
Incentive not to default then. 12 hours notice of not attending will negate a fine.

Alistair20000

Incentive not to default then. 12 hours notice of not attending will negate a fine.
I like the idea. One to send to your M.P. maybe ?

Oldsmobile-88

The plethora of TV audience chat shows where panel members give their personal opinions on the news of the day(Jeremy Vine on C5.The Big Question,BBC.Loose Women,ITV)
Most of the population I imagine do not give a #### about hearing opinions from these E list celebrities.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
The plethora of TV audience chat shows where panel members give their personal opinions on the news of the day(Jeremy Vine on C5.The Big Question,BBC.Loose Women,ITV)
Most of the population I imagine do not give a #### about hearing opinions from these E list celebrities.
That's why i never watch them.

Oldsmobile-88

The amount of standing charge per day charged by energy suppliers.
Was about to renew my Gas/Electric contract & it’s risen from 8p a day(for each fuel) to 24p a day(combined £175 a year!).
Time to look on my uSwitch app.
The standing charge was abolished when the energy market opened up,there was no need for it because the emergency service part,transmission & metering was included in the unit cost of energy.

Then the suppliers thought there was easy money to be made from UK consumers.

Money for old rope..