• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Little things that annoy you

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
You have (possibly) and I do. However, in the context of the original annoyance, if it says Tesco on the packet wouldn't it follow that you speak to Tesco should you have a complaint about that particular product?
Right, got you, and yes i would take it up with Tesco but i'd do the same if it was a branded product.

The responsibility for ensuring the quality of a product passes up the line at each stage of production and sale, shirley? If something goes wrong with my telly, i don't take it apart to find out who made the faulty component then fire off a strongly worded email, i just take it back to wherever i bought it and it's for them to sort out. What they do after that with referring back down the line is their problem.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
While Tesco need to take responsibility for a duff tin of Heinz baked beans, are they responsible for it being duff? i.e. should they take the blame. I think sometimes they should, the use of horse meat in beef products should have been checked for, so in that instance they are to blame as well as the supplier.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
While Tesco need to take responsibility for a duff tin of Heinz baked beans, are they responsible for it being duff? i.e. should they take the blame. I think sometimes they should, the use of horse meat in beef products should have been checked for, so in that instance they are to blame as well as the supplier.
Definitely the first port of call is with the people who sold you the product, so yes, Tesco (or whoever) would be the people you complain to. They can then take it up with their suppliers.

I'm hardly going to seek out poor old Juan Ramirez of Ecuador if my bananas are a bit bruised.

Antony Moxey

I'm hardly going to seek out poor old Juan Ramirez of Ecuador if my bananas are a bit bruised.
Indeed. Everyone knows Juan sells coffee beans. You'd be stupid to complain to him about your bananas when they come from his neighbour's farm next door.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
There is that, yes.

Antony Moxey

You'd think they'd have some form of quality control in place to ensure it leaves the supplier to an agreed standard, so yes, it's Tesco's fault if the beans are duff and that's who the customer takes it up with.

Tesco then take it up with Heinz and up the chain it goes, it's not the customer's job to go all the way back as Jase said with poor old Juan who's nothing to do with it as he's selling coffee and a completely innocent party in all of this.

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
The contract is between customer and supermarket, so they've every right to complain. The manufacturer still holds a duty of care but the customer should always start by complaining to the person that sold the product to them.
You're completely missing the point. I'm not on about them complaining to tesco etc. I'm on about those who blame the supermarket for a problem with the product, for instance, finding an object/bug in the prepacked salad but then proceed to have a go and blame the supermarket when it is not their responsibility. Someone found something the other day, the person's response 'bloody tesco get worse' how the hell is it their fault??? They don't open the packet to check and then reseal it. Dumbwits

cannockred

In law, he says sounding officious, your contract is with the person you bought it from, so you would complain to tescos, who would deal with it. They cannot blame anyone else or pass the buck to someone else. If the goods are not of merchantable quality, then we all have a right in law to redress from the company that sold you the item.

Most times, threatening them with going to the paper or environmental health is enough as far as food quality is concerned. Tescos for instance, cannot pass on that duty of care to their suppliers. It is the same with goods sold that are out of date.

It is then their responsibility to take it up with who sold it to them. So in answer to shabba above, tesco are at fault! they are the dumbwits for selling it in the first place.

Dont get me started on selling merchandise that is in a shop window :)

Last edited:

StroudGrecian

So Tesco profits have plummeted as a direct result of opening, checking and resealing every bag of salad?

Shabba

Well-known Exeweb poster
In law, he says sounding officious, your contract is with the person you bought it from, so you would complain to tescos, who would deal with it. They cannot blame anyone else or pass the buck to someone else. If the goods are not of merchantable quality, then we all have a right in law to redress from the company that sold you the item.

Most times, threatening them with going to the paper or environmental health is enough as far as food quality is concerned. Tescos for instance, cannot pass on that duty of care to their suppliers. It is the same with goods sold that are out of date.

It is then their responsibility to take it up with who sold it to them. So in answer to shabba above, tesco are at fault! they are the dumbwits for selling it in the first place.

Dont get me started on selling merchandise that is in a shop window :)
How are they at fault? Tesco do not pack the products? Yes, they are the person you complain to, and Tesco will then go to the supplier/manufacturer with a complaint, which could then result in a recall. But for people to say 'this is typical of the supermarket or the supermarket get worse, is absolutely ridiculous. If you were buying a meal from their cafe and the food was cold then yes it is their fault in not ensuring the staff send out a decent meal. But they cannot be blamed for something that is completely out of their control.

I must be extremely unusual, cos if I've bought a product that isn't fresh food and I have a problem with it, then I contact the company who made it direct.