• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lincoln Job

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Out of interest, Where did Lincoln get the Cowley brothers when they appointed them?

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would assume that Matt Taylor is on a contract not too dissimilar to Tisdale's last one, i.e. that he is very well paid as a Division Two manager, particularly if performance elements are built into that contract. He is also well aware that the Trust is not in the habit of sacking managers. After all Tisdale would probably have been sacked six times over during a similar tenure at another club. He is also aware of the Trust ethos of succession planning. Consequently he would be absolutely stupid to seek potential short term gain at any other club whilst risking the usual manager go round scenario.
I believe that he has made such an impact that he will grow with the club, much more than Tisdale could ever have done. Everyone loves Matt Taylor for his forthrightness.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I know let's give him a roller so that if he does move on then it would cost the poaching club ;)

Grecianpasty

It's not disrespectful, it's that MT in footballing terms to other clubs is that he hasn't done anything of note outside of this club, If he gets us promoted then that might be different
No it's not disrespectful, that was the wrong word. But if reports are correct, they have the compensation money from the Cowley deal to pluck another manager away from a club, then why would it be anyone else other than Taylor?

They are looking at potentially promoting Jamie mccombe from there academy to do the job, he has less experience than Taylor.

Lincoln are a prideful club who are well known for promoting youth and developing players. They are looking for someone to continue that ethos and Matt Taylor fits the bill perfectly.

Long are the days where teams picked managers for longevity. It's a fickle business and if someone's doing the business right now, they at least deserve an interview.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
No it's not disrespectful, that was the wrong word. But if reports are correct, they have the compensation money from the Cowley deal to pluck another manager away from a club, then why would it be anyone else other than Taylor?

They are looking at potentially promoting Jamie mccombe from there academy to do the job, he has less experience than Taylor.

Lincoln are a prideful club who are well known for promoting youth and developing players. They are looking for someone to continue that ethos and Matt Taylor fits the bill perfectly.

Long are the days where teams picked managers for longevity. It's a fickle business and if someone's doing the business right now, they at least deserve an interview.
They have the money yes but MT? No not IMHO, He's been a manager for 12 months, With a club that doesn't sack managers, Will be given the time to develop players and himself as a manager, Not many clubs allow you to do that, As you say football is a fickle business

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think Lincoln have maxed out their potential, whoever takes on the role has a tough job on imho.

i8cornwall

Out of interest, Where did Lincoln get the Cowley brothers when they appointed them?
They where at Braintree before joining the imps. I think and Im happy to be corrected if I'm wrong but they won Nat south before making the jump up north.

Reactions: DB9

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
They where at Braintree before joining the imps. I think and Im happy to be corrected if I'm wrong but they won Nat south before making the jump up north.
Not quite - they were at Braintree but they were already a Conf side when they joined. They took Braintree to 3rd place and the playoffs before jumping ship.

exeter-loyal

Taylor lead us to an outside promotion spot without stockley, boateng and Troy brown (who was arguably our best centre back) in his first season as a manager.

He epitomises the ideology of youth from top to bottom.

Yes its early doors, but to question why a club like Lincoln would not be even remotely interested in Taylor is disrespectful to the work that he has already put in.

I was sceptical about the appointment at first. And even the style of play leads a lot to be desired. However, bit by bit we are seeing how much desire these players have to play for there manager. Our fitness levels are impeccable, and unless you didn't notice we beat Carlisle in a game where radio devon commentary said it would not be an exaggeration if we scored 8 goals.

I'm glad that he's been recognised as someone who could step into the Lincoln job. As long as that's as far as it goes.
100% agree on that. What people forget is that we were close to achieving promotion last season and were only 9 points off finishing 2nd. With what he had with transfers out and injuries in his first season was in incredible and very unlucky in the end not to achieve anything (even though we might not have looked like a promotion team at times) but like I've said before, this year is his team and we will judge him mainly on that and I think come the end of the season it will be PROMOTION. Seeing him with odds for the job doesn't surprise me one bit.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Having odds for the job in this instance means nothing if you look at the list of other people on the same odds or better.It's not going to happen until he's had more experience so let's move on