• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lewis Hamilton:

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
bit of a tit, or perhaps just try too hard at the moment? The last couple of Grands Prix have seen a number of incidents involving Hamilton that seem to have been avoidable - today's with Button a case in point.

Knowing the gap was always getting smaller and that Button was never going to pull out of the way, wouldn't have discretion been the better part of valour and him just give up the move instead of persisting to the inevitable outcome?

Poundstretcher

Fast drifting towards "tit" territory, with a burgeoning victim complex to boot.

bit of a tit, or perhaps just try too hard at the moment? The last couple of Grands Prix have seen a number of incidents involving Hamilton that seem to have been avoidable - today's with Button a case in point.

Knowing the gap was always getting smaller and that Button was never going to pull out of the way, wouldn't have discretion been the better part of valour and him just give up the move instead of persisting to the inevitable outcome?
Button has held up his hands on this one and rightly so although i blame the conditions as opposed to either driver, that said Hamilton was awful today and has been for the past few races now, I suspect it is mostly him trying too hard because despite what people think of him he is still a great driver. I suspect now even he has to concede defeat on the championship and maybe we'll see better racing from a more relaxed hamilton

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think the debate is quite an interesting one - the F1 chaps were quite right in saying that if you rein him in you lose the driver (much like when Rooney looks like he is about to lamp someone). Monaco was definitely his doing, but yesterday it was harder to make that call. He will always be someone who goes for the gap and, as Martin Whitmarsh said, how often does he pull them off and we marvel at the spectacle.

Besides, what has turned so many people off F1 in recent years has been the processional nature of the event - here we now have someone overtaking people and we criticise when he gets it wrong!

I think the criticism has really come because he's been getting it wrong a lot lately, before now most had been excusing his mistakes, usually citing his 'passion' or 'desire to win'. Schumacher was the same. That said i think a lot of people might be so critical of him for his outburst last week, he's never really been one for holding his hands up and admitting his mistakes

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Senna was criticised in the same way, Gilles Villeneuve too. Time forgets their mishaps.

I'm not suggesting for two seconds that he is in the same class (particularly Senna). Although the death of the great man lead to a great watershed in terms of safety in the sport, the real legacy of his passing was to dilute the the gung-ho nature of the sport, the thing it is actually all about.

Kamil Kobiyashi is the new man to watch.

Whilst on the subject of Hamilton, for those with FB, why not support his brother...

Last edited:

MickStagraget

If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver.

He's trying too hard to make up the deficit of the car. Sadly he's made the wrong choices and has an inability to admit that he's wrong, but then that's not that different to Senna or Schumacher, two of the greatest of all time. You'll also not see Vettel holding his hands up too often, he was exactly the same when he ran into Webber in Turkey last year. As for Lewi, he just needs to learn how to control his tongue, being team mates with Button is really just highlighting how immature he is and his lack of development since his first season.

b+d=u is possibly right though, with the Championship slipping out of sight we may see Hamilton put in the sort of accomplished performances he's capable of.