• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Lee Holmes?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
This isn't the public sector. One private company is perfectly entitled to promote another private company if it chooses to, for whatever reason. Speaking personally, it would annoy me if it was overdone. But an isolated congratulation - especially to the establishment of a new local firm that will potentially create local jobs - is fine by me.

If it also shows Lee that he's at a place that will give him a small helping hand like this, it may be reciprocated in the future.
Agree. Brunt got quite a lot of free publicity about his new fitness centre, too, but nobody was obliged to use it. You could argue if you wanted that a potential sponsor who was a competitor might be peed off. But anyway, giving a little helping hand to our players seems the right thing to do.

WXF

This isn't the public sector. One private company is perfectly entitled to promote another private company if it chooses to, for whatever reason. Speaking personally, it would annoy me if it was overdone. But an isolated congratulation - especially to the establishment of a new local firm that will potentially create local jobs - is fine by me.

If it also shows Lee that he's at a place that will give him a small helping hand like this, it may be reciprocated in the future.
ECFC directors have fiduciary duties to ensure the club acts in the interest of the organisation (rather than individuals) and that conflicts of interest are avoided. However, no one has said this is illegal. That's a straw man. I'm simply saying its poor practice. An old boys club culture won't help us. It's unhealthy and undesirable, hence the fiduciary duties of Directors noted above.

Lee Holmes doesn't need our help promoting his outside business interests at the current time. We should avoid the appearance of cronyism. We just need to cut it out.

elginCity

I agree with WXF, Lee Holmes as a current full time paid employee of the club should only be encouraged by the club to deliver 100% to the cause, exclusively, until he retires.

Nigel E

ECFC directors have fiduciary duties to ensure the club acts in the interest of the organisation (rather than individuals) and that conflicts of interest are avoided. However, no one has said this is illegal. That's a straw man. I'm simply saying its poor practice. An old boys club culture won't help us. It's unhealthy and undesirable, hence the fiduciary duties of Directors noted above.

Lee Holmes doesn't need our help promoting his outside business interests at the current time. We should avoid the appearance of cronyism. We just need to cut it out.
Crikey, lighten up, it's a one-off tweet drawing attention to the entrepreneurial actions of an employee.

And it is absolutely in the interests of the organisation to acknowledge it, since it might result in a non-tangible benefit in the future - either through strengthening loyalty and a willingness to see out his career in the city, or a longer-term benefit of sponsorship in the future. This kind of mutual encouragement is part and parcel of small business enterprise.

As for him being a full-time employee - by the employment standards of most of us he is far from full time. Footballers have loads of time off and there are some examples of footballers using this down-time very unwisely to the detriment of their health and/or finance. Instead, Lee Holmes has clearly used it to pave the way into a new career - so well done, him. The idea that he will somehow not be able to skin the opposition's left-back, or commit to training, because he is thinking of a floor tiling job in Alphington is a bit far-fetched.

As I say, if ECFC started to pollute their Twitter feed on a regular basis with this stuff then that's one thing. But instead it's just one tweet, so I'm not bothered.

Stelios

We all know how tough life can be for players when they retire. Lots of players are lost when they stop playing and can suffer all sorts of problems. Even fully fit, full time pros have lots of spare time on their hands. I say good on him for being proactive and thinking about his future.

Oh, and he's a class player too (y)

elginCity

It may only be a tweet, but the club is setting a precedent here, and that is the point.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It may only be a tweet, but the club is setting a precedent here, and that is the point.
Er, not exactly, Robbie Simpson was given ample airtime to promote his sideline business last season.

elginCity

Er, not exactly, Robbie Simpson was given ample airtime to promote his sideline business last season.
OK, different player, same point.

Nigel E

And Bertie Cozic's creperie. Therefore, not a precedent.

IndoMike

OK, different player, same point.
So, apart from Holmes, Brunt, Bertie and Simpson, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Last edited: