Lee Holmes?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster

Banksy

Shame , good player on his day.Wonder whether we will get rid at the end of the season in view of his injury problems? Guess we should really as too many injury prone players are why we've dipped out on automatics this season.

Moomin Grecian

Whilst i don't know what his contract situation is, i'd guess he's on decent money yet can't play more than 2 games in a row. Tisdale has also said he won't feature again this season - https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/exeter-city-could-handed-jordan-1524379

Good player on his day, those days are just too few and far between. IMHO, natch.
Pretty sure he signed an extension last season, so would expect it was 2 years, leaving a year to go. He is far too too injury prone and now that he’s in his thirties the injuries will probably get worse. Shame as he’s a great player when fully fit.

At least the injury update on the others looks more promising!

LOG

Pretty sure he signed an extension last season, so would expect it was 2 years, leaving a year to go. He is far too too injury prone and now that he’s in his thirties the injuries will probably get worse. Shame as he’s a great player when fully fit.

At least the injury update on the others looks more promising!
Ah ok. I suppose he's the type of players who gets kicked a lot but it's very frustrating, for him as well, that's he's in and out of the squad so much.

benjisheps

Whilst i don't know what his contract situation is, i'd guess he's on decent money yet can't play more than 2 games in a row. Tisdale has also said he won't feature again this season - https://www.devonlive.com/sport/football/football-news/exeter-city-could-handed-jordan-1524379

Good player on his day, those days are just too few and far between. IMHO, natch.
Totally agree with this and although a big fan of Holmes he just doesn't play enough games anymore. Unfortunately Ryan Harley's injury situation is now also very similar. In all honesty the club can probably only really afford to keep one of these two based upon how many games they actually play.

Billy The Fish

Totally agree with this and although a big fan of Holmes he just doesn't play enough games anymore. Unfortunately Ryan Harley's injury situation is now also very similar. In all honesty the club can probably only really afford to keep one of these two based upon how many games they actually play.
We have a comparatively large squad but it diminishes in size when you are carrying these injury prone players. You can add TAH to the other two and there's also Brunt and Simpson who have been long term "projects". I would suggest that you could decrease the squad size and wage bill by signing fit players and not the more risky types. We have money now.

Snoop Fog

I wonder if we'll ever see Brunt in a competitive fixture.

Anyway, release Holmes if his contracts up, which I believe it is. Great player for this level we just don't see him enough.

Joshyd123

He's constantly injured, in his 30s and on a massive wedge. Of course he'll still be here next season.

IndoMike

i think if a player is genuinely injured and not malingering then we just have to accept it. However, signing an injured player who is recovering from a serious, possibly career-threatening injury
carries its own risks. If we're gonna take a risk I'd prefer it to be with a young, goal scoring player from the non-league.

Banksy

Ref your last sentence Mike , so would I.Guess both of us will never agree with Tisdale's philosophy of taking on lame ducks instead.And then complaining he doesn't have a big enough budget......

Last edited:

Red Bill

Lee Holmes is the kind of player every football fan wants to see when he's on form, he's exciting and attacking and you can feel the air of excitement in a ground when he gets the ball and starts to run at people. I'll never forget him destroying the Luton fullback in that great 2-3 win up there a couple of seasons ago, I almost started to feel sorry for the defenders that day. Sadly though, he is injury prone which means the times when he's fit and on top form are few and far between, so perhaps he's a luxury we can no longer justify keeping. He's got a great relationship with the fans and I'll be sad to see him leave, but all too often we hang on to players based on rare moments of brilliance and past glories, when the more sensible option would be to let them go and look for someone fresh, so on balance I think he should probably be let go when his contract expires.

IndoMike

Ref your last sentence Mike , so would I.Guess both of us will never agree with Tisdale's philosophy of taking on lame ducks instead.And then complaining he doesn't have a big enough budget......
We could certainly question the value of TAH, Holmes, Harley, Simpson, Brunt and Seaborne in the squad based purely on the combination of age, appearances and performances. If Brunt is not ready and fully fit by the start of next season then I doubt if he'll ever be ready, which is a pity because he obviously has some class at our level.

Alistair20000

Lee Holmes is the kind of player every football fan wants to see when he's on form, he's exciting and attacking and you can feel the air of excitement in a ground when he gets the ball and starts to run at people. I'll never forget him destroying the Luton fullback in that great 2-3 win up there a couple of seasons ago, I almost started to feel sorry for the defenders that day. Sadly though, he is injury prone which means the times when he's fit and on top form are few and far between, so perhaps he's a luxury we can no longer justify keeping. He's got a great relationship with the fans and I'll be sad to see him leave, but all too often we hang on to players based on rare moments of brilliance and past glories, when the more sensible option would be to let them go and look for someone fresh, so on balance I think he should probably be let go when his contract expires.
This.

Moving onto a related more general thing, as Club do we carry a disproportionately high number of cripples, semi cripples, ageing gimps etc or are other clubs the same and we just don't notice ?

Red Devon

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would like to see him sign for another 18 months hopefully, easily good enough to play in league 1 should it happen