• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Not league 2, but interesting and surprising to see Wycombe sitting at the top of league 1. Wonders never cease. Do they still bore everybody to death with gamesmanship or have they moved on ?
I know last season there were plenty of complaints from opponents (and some from journalists) plus their matches were always finishing after 5, can't say I've been paying too much attention this season as I've been playing Cricket on Saturdays so only really keeping up with the scores and the Quest highlights show.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
After seven matches last season we were lying in third spot behind Lincoln and Newport both on 16 points (1 less than we have achieved so far this season) we were on 13 points having lost two matches one to Lincoln and the other to the Franchise.

As mentioned in another post our crowds this season are higher as is our points tally. Fingers crossed long may it continue

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
I see their goalkeeper was booked, presumably for wasting time, so no they probably haven't moved on in that regard.
Wycombes league record so far:
Bolton h W 2-0 Added time 4+5=9 mins
Bristol R a D 0-0 Added time 2+6=8 mins
MK Dons h W 3-2 Added time 5+5=10 mins
Fleetwood a D 1-1 Added time 5+6=11 mins
Southend h W 4-3 Added time 6+7=13 mins (Winner in 92nd minute)
AFC Wimbledon a D 0-0 Added time 2+6=8 mins
Lincoln h W 3-1 Added time 4+15!!!=19 minutes
So a total of 78 minutes added so far
(For comparison ECFC have had 9+9+8+8+10+8+8=Total 60 minutes)
So not so bad initially but worrying signs that Wycombe seem to be gradually slipping back into their old ways.
(And yes, I do have too much time in my hands)

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Also interesting that the ref didn't stop play when 2 Wycombe players went down with head injuries and Lincoln scored.
The injuries may have been genuine this time but could it be a result of them 'crying wolf' in the past?
One of their oft use tactics was for a player to fall to the ground clutching his head to break up an opposition move.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wycombes league record so far:
Bolton h W 2-0 Added time 4+5=9 mins
Bristol R a D 0-0 Added time 2+6=8 mins
MK Dons h W 3-2 Added time 5+5=10 mins
Fleetwood a D 1-1 Added time 5+6=11 mins
Southend h W 4-3 Added time 6+7=13 mins (Winner in 92nd minute)
AFC Wimbledon a D 0-0 Added time 2+6=8 mins
Lincoln h W 3-1 Added time 4+15!!!=19 minutes
So a total of 78 minutes added so far
(For comparison ECFC have had 9+9+8+8+10+8+8=Total 60 minutes)
So not so bad initially but worrying signs that Wycombe seem to be gradually slipping back into their old ways.
(And yes, I do have too much time in my hands)
I yield to no-one in my loathing for time-wasting by Wycombe and others, remembering the Tuesday night game there in 2015 when Tom Nichols game away a penalty deep into injury time after their player rolled back onto the pitch right in front of us to make sure the ref stopped the game.

But to be fair the 15 minutes on Saturday (against Lincoln, the other past masters of dodgy tactics) was mostly due to a horrendous accidental collision in the box that led to doctors on the pitch and Bloomfield being carried off on a stretcher. 9 minutes. Allsop's booking was during this so it was presumably for something he said to the ref about not stopping the game in the lead-up to the goal.

Also they had to defend for 5 minutes after their 92nd minute goal v. Southend, so gained no real advantage. They are however unusual in having had lots of added time in the first half of games, but one time this was because of two penalty delays in the MK game (one each way). So objectively it seems they are not that much ahead of us really. I haven't looked at the other games, though.

There is however a more general issue of referees adding excessive amounts of time in the second half, even allowing half a minute for each sub, and the do not seem from what I've seen on the googlebox to be enforcing the new rule that injured players should go off at the nearest touchline rather than wandering across to the halfway line.

Exehausted

I yield to no-one in my loathing for time-wasting by Wycombe and others, remembering the Tuesday night game there in 2015 when Tom Nichols game away a penalty deep into injury time after their player rolled back onto the pitch right in front of us to make sure the ref stopped the game.

But to be fair the 15 minutes on Saturday (against Lincoln, the other past masters of dodgy tactics) was mostly due to a horrendous accidental collision in the box that led to doctors on the pitch and Bloomfield being carried off on a stretcher. 9 minutes. Allsop's booking was during this so it was presumably for something he said to the ref about not stopping the game in the lead-up to the goal.

Also they had to defend for 5 minutes after their 92nd minute goal v. Southend, so gained no real advantage. They are however unusual in having had lots of added time in the first half of games, but one time this was because of two penalty delays in the MK game (one each way). So objectively it seems they are not that much ahead of us really. I haven't looked at the other games, though.

There is however a more general issue of referees adding excessive amounts of time in the second half, even allowing half a minute for each sub, and the do not seem from what I've seen on the googlebox to be enforcing the new rule that injured players should go off at the nearest touchline rather than wandering across to the halfway line.
I thought that Referees have had to add on 30 seconds per sub for years now, is that wrong then?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
And now the Cowleys have gone to Huddersfield. Poisoned Chalice or Inspired Move?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought that Referees have had to add on 30 seconds per sub for years now, is that wrong then?
The 30 seconds was never in the Laws and still isn't, it was "guidance". But I've done some more digging and think I have the reason for the increase in added time this season.

The latest version of the Laws of the Game encourages more and more added time:

Law 07.3. Allowance for time lost Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all time lost in that half through: • substitutions • assessment and/or removal of injured players • wasting time • disciplinary sanctions • medical stoppages permitted by competition rules e.g. ‘drinks’ breaks (which should not exceed one minute) and ‘cooling’ breaks (ninety seconds to three minutes) • delays relating to VAR ‘checks’ and ‘reviews’ • any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations) The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each half. The additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced.

The old wording was:

Allowance for time lost
Allowance is made in either period for all time lost through:
• substitutions
• assessment of injury to players
• removal of injured players from the field of play for treatment
• wasting time
• any other cause
The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Player of the month nominee Swindon's own Bradord loanee Eoin Doyle. I wonder what the Bantham fans think of him now, at the time of the loan a lot were happy that he had gone, apparently on £5k per week but he certainly has made his mark at Swindon 5 goals to date compared to Bradford's 8 in the league. Swindon obviously playing to a style that suits him, last season he was the Bantams top scorer with 11 (6 pens)

Recent bantam fan comment
"The amount of points Doyle has earned Swindon through his goals: 5

Where Swindon would have been without Doyle's goals: 19th.

Where Swindon are with Doyle's goals: 5th.

"whenever a team 'plays his strengths' they do badly."

Yeah Jon, those poor Swindon fans who have to endure the pain of a goal scorer keeping them in promotion contention. If Wellens has any sense he'd send him back and replace him with a 5 goal a season man who can defend corners. "

Hopefully when Ajose starts firing in he will do a Doyle

Exehausted

The 30 seconds was never in the Laws and still isn't, it was "guidance". But I've done some more digging and think I have the reason for the increase in added time this season.

The latest version of the Laws of the Game encourages more and more added time:

Law 07.3. Allowance for time lost Allowance is made by the referee in each half for all time lost in that half through: • substitutions • assessment and/or removal of injured players • wasting time • disciplinary sanctions • medical stoppages permitted by competition rules e.g. ‘drinks’ breaks (which should not exceed one minute) and ‘cooling’ breaks (ninety seconds to three minutes) • delays relating to VAR ‘checks’ and ‘reviews’ • any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations) The fourth official indicates the minimum additional time decided by the referee at the end of the final minute of each half. The additional time may be increased by the referee but not reduced.

The old wording was:

Allowance for time lost
Allowance is made in either period for all time lost through:
• substitutions
• assessment of injury to players
• removal of injured players from the field of play for treatment
• wasting time
• any other cause
The allowance for time lost is at the discretion of the referee.
Sorry for the slow reply John I've been away. Thanks for that information, very interesting. So it seems that the unofficial drinks stops that took place when someone was injured are almost official now. Obviously coaches quickly make any points they want to get across during the break. How long will it be before each team can call a 90 second timeout in each half, similar to what they do in Basket Ball and the NFL?

Status
Not open for further replies.