• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
So letting Bury back in would be letting them off the hook, like nothing untoward had happened. I don't think anyone will have learned anything, and potentially Bury can overspend next season and be promoted again.
True.

But I do have sympathy for their fans. If it had happened to us in 2003 and we'd been offered a way back in, we'd have grabbed the rope to the lifeboat.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
While precedent* suggests they shouldn't have to start right down at the bottom as has been mooted (I heard North West Counties League Div 2), it would be an absolute crock for them to be allowed back into L2 next season.

e.g. Halifax and Chester, who dropped from Conference National to Northern Premier Div 1, a drop of three levels - which if applied evenly would see Bury in Conf North next season.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
True.

But I do have sympathy for their fans. If it had happened to us in 2003 and we'd been offered a way back in, we'd have grabbed the rope to the lifeboat.
Yes and for all the foot soldiers on the payroll.

Spoonz Red E

The other aspect to this is it would actually do Bury a favour to drop a couple of leagues.
Especially if they become more of a community club.

A lower wage bill would be needed while they get their act back together.

The 'big fish in a small pond factor' would provide some feelgood moments on matchdays (see Torquay last season and Lincoln in the Conference).

The 5 years we spent in the conference (and I'm thankful we made it back into the league) gave us some time to pull it around on all levels and provided for some unusual and interesting games.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I did read somewhere about if Bury weren't allowed back in the League and had to start a new club "they would transfer the history into the new club" ?
How do you transfer the history into a newly formed club ? Have to go ask a MK dongs fan if there are any in Devon.

Grecian2K

Thought they'd already transferred their history to an old Cornish club.
(You know. The one they managed to "leap frog" last May)

Langer

It’s a real shame but if you can’t play your fixtures for what ever reason you have to start again imo

IndoMike

True.

Yes, of course. But it didn't happen to us. If Mount Everest was 100 meters high I would climb it.
The fans and staff are innocent victims, just like the employees who lose their jobs in a factory due to mismanagement or fraudulent management. Look how many BHS staff lost their jobs due to the goings on there. Nobody likes it, but what to do? The only way forward is to discourage other owners from doing the same by tightening the rules, by punishing rogue owners harshly, and by pressuring the FL to become fit and proper itself.
I've already said to you that words of sympathy are all well and good and easy to say, but they don't help Bury.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I wonder if the review will include whether Shaun Harvey was a fit and proper person to run football? I do think he did stuff without the approval of club chairman.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, of course. But it didn't happen to us. If Mount Everest was 100 meters high I would climb it.
The fans and staff are innocent victims, just like the employees who lose their jobs in a factory due to mismanagement or fraudulent management. Look how many BHS staff lost their jobs due to the goings on there. Nobody likes it, but what to do? The only way forward is to discourage other owners from doing the same by tightening the rules, by punishing rogue owners harshly, and by pressuring the FL to become fit and proper itself.
I've already said to you that words of sympathy are all well and good and easy to say, but they don't help Bury.
There does seem to be a real spilt of opinion. On the one hand large parts of the media seem to be under the impression that Bury have somehow been badly treated and that everyone should feel sorry for their staff and fans. On the other hand, many fans of other clubs, while feeling a little sympathy for the fans, are more focussed on the fact that Bury were allowed to cheat their way to promotion last season and want to make sure they are properly punished for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.