• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 2 News

Status
Not open for further replies.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Notice Chesterfield are in that chart.

STURTZ

Some interesting numbers here, though a little lacking in detail.
I note that Swindon are interested as well.

Boyo

Some interesting numbers here, though a little lacking in detail.
£1.7k per week average doesn't stack up. Not even close.

Per player that would be almost £90k per year. A squad of 25 at that amount would cost over £2.2m per year.

This link suggests that our base playing budget is £1m per year which is currently increased by windfall income received, so maybe £1.5m to £1.7m at the moment. I think that puts us in the top 10 budget in L2.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
£1.7k per week average doesn't stack up. Not even close.

Per player that would be almost £90k per year. A squad of 25 at that amount would cost over £2.2m per year.

This link suggests that our base playing budget is £1m per year which is currently increased by windfall income received, so maybe £1.5m to £1.7m at the moment. I think that puts us in the top 10 budget in L2.

Averages depend on who you include in the calculation, the balance between older and younger players, and the size of the squad. I'm not sure the average player wage is of much relevance without knowing these.

From what Taggy and Keith Mason have told Trust AGMs your figure of base and enhanced budget seem about right (I think £1.08M base was mentioned). But there is presumably a huge range between the young fringe players to say 5-6x that for the top earners. The P1 (players wages) budget also tends to creep up over the season as the Board agree rises for young guns who make the first team and improved contract offers to get key players to sign extensions. Of course the high average attendances and the money from EFL Cup is giving us some leeway.

IIRC Clubs get told twice a season where they are in the ranks (but not what others above and below are paying) and we are usually about the middle.

More generally, it's no different in any similar sized business. Controlling wage creep v. recruitment and retention imperatives is always a difficult balancing act. Same as it ever was...

Red Bill

This is a sign of just how broken football's business model is. Outside of Bradford, Swindon and the Slime, no teams in our league will get anywhere near generating enough income to cover the wages being paid out if articles like this are true. Salford are never going to be able to afford to offer a quaters of a million pound salaries through generated revenue.
It's very sad to say and will be devastating for their fans, but i'm afraid we need several more Burys if football is going to wake up and put things right!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As someone who takes a keen interest in the spending of clubs, I'd love to have a go at bracketing clubs in L2 in terms of whether they are spending more (often significantly more) than City, around the same ballpark as us, and those spending (often considerably less) than City.

I'd guess that those in the first bracket would be the likes of Plym**th, Swindon, Bradford, Salford, Mansfield, possibly Scunthorpe. Those in the last bracket would be the likes of Morecambe, Macclesfield (although they reportedly owe Sol Campbell £180k in unpaid wages!), maybe Cheltenham (which makes their success more remarkable), maybe Stevenage now Fill Wallet has messed up big time with their stand rebuild. The rest probably much of a muchness with City - some just above, some just below.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
More incoming at Forest Green Rovers.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Oh yes, I knew there was one I'd forgotten - lump in FGR in the "first bracket".

Red Devon

Probably add Northampton in the first bracket

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Probably add Northampton in the first bracket
Them too although tempted to say they're "just" above us having had some financial troubles in the last year or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.