• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great Expectations (1940) John Mills ~ Jean Simmons

I've Always found Dickens easier to watch than to read and therefore found this film most agreeable. Jean Simmon as a 17 year old was startlingly pretty at the young Estelle while it was a pleasure to be reminded of the likes of Bernard Miles, Finlay Currie, a young Alec Guinness and Martita Hunt. 8/10

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster

I've Always found Dickens easier to watch than to read and therefore found this film most agreeable. Jean Simmon as a 17 year old was startlingly pretty at the young Estelle while it was a pleasure to be reminded of the likes of Bernard Miles, Finlay Currie, a young Alec Guinness and Martita Hunt. 8/10
Stuffy, This is a classic, One of those films made in the dark, early days of WW2 when we didn't know if we would be invaded or not. So many great films like these out there that were made to boost the publics morale

Stelios

Superb film, seen it a few times and watched it the other day when it was on. She was certainly beguiling when I watched it as a lad (it was a repeat on tele - not when it was originally released :ROFLMAO:) and I think gave me feelings I didn't know I had......:oops:...... Her performance certainly made quite an impression on me. Anyway, I digress. Oh and I remember being absolutely petrified of Magwitch.

1946 according to IMDB

Agree about the books too. Find them really hard to get through but work brilliantly on TV/film

Last edited:

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Reluctant Fundamentalist. Young man from Pakistan lands a top job in New York before 9/11, and post 9/11 re-examines his life, after shocking treatment in the US, and thought provoking feedback from his family and others. Worth a watch 7/10

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Superb film, seen it a few times and watched it the other day when it was on. She was certainly beguiling when I watched it as a lad (it was a repeat on tele - not when it was originally released :ROFLMAO:) and I think gave me feelings I didn't know I had......:oops:...... Her performance certainly made quite an impression on me. Anyway, I digress. Oh and I remember being absolutely petrified of Magwitch.

1946 according to IMDB

Agree about the books too. Find them really hard to get through but work brilliantly on TV/film
Just checked it out and you are quite right that the film was made in 1946. I appreciate your comments as it shows that you number among a few on Exeweb who still admire the old and sometimes forgotten films of years past - I recall a few years back being hauled over the coals by one of this threads most ardent contributors for mostly reviewing the old stuff.

Those "feelings" for Miss Simmons that you experienced while watching this film first came about in my mind when she played a young singer in 'The Way to the Stars' (1945). Phoar! ;)

GJW

Angry Birds 2. I have no words to explain just how much I enjoyed this film, literally none.

Still, I’ll be watching the new Godzilla film tomorrow night and then spend the rest of the night looking out from my balcony over the Atlantic ocean waiting for a Titan or 2 to have a brawl on the beach in Westward Ho!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Glass, Had high expectations for this after Unbreakable but tbh it failed miserably with a mysterious society trying to convince the 3 main characters they don't really have any super powers but they are normal people with delusions.
The ending is a big let down and one that should have gone straight to dvd if for nothing else it would have saved people having to pay good money at a cinema 3/10.

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
Frozen 2. Magical Christmas movie for kids. No "Let It Go" style chart topper but still a long-awaited follow up to a classic Disney film. Very funny (and self-depreciating at times) and Olaf steals the show with lots of LOL moments.

Legohead

Banned
Le Mans 66. Popped over to the cinema this afternoon. 2½ hours long, and I didn't look at my watch once. It had some flaws, I hated the product placement at the beginning of the film, but I did thoroughly enjoy it, which is what you want from a film. Ferrari vs Ford, and Christian Bale and Matt Damon carried off their roles well. 8.5/10.

I find it really weird going to the cinema in the daytime. I went once on my own to the Alpha Papa Alan Partridge film one afternoon when that came out as I was desperate to see it. I felt like a freak!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I find it really weird going to the cinema in the daytime. I went once on my own to the Alpha Papa Alan Partridge film one afternoon when that came out as I was desperate to see it. I felt like a freak!
The cinema is a ten minute walk away, and an afternoon visit fits in with my work pattern. I walked in on the screen playing adverts to absolutely no one, as I was the first in!