• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

exeter-loyal

Phonebooth. Watched it on SYFY, break every 15 ruddy mins.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Hunt for Red October. Quite old now but excellent. About a Russian sub commander looking to defect in the mid 80's whilst in the most state of the art sub of it's time, and the Russians doing their damnedest to stop him and the Americans helping him. 9/10

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Blinded by the Light. Made by the same people that made Bend it Like Beckham, and the storyline was very similar. Dad is an immigrant from Karachi, Pakistan and son falls in love with the music of Bruce Springsteen. This is 1987 Luton, with the BNP very much alive in the town, and this Muslim family suffers for it. The boy wants to be a writer, and his Dad forbids it. The conflicts within the family are the same as in the Bend It film. I really enjoyed the film, I don't think not being a fan of the Boss will affect your enjoyment. A well earned 8.9 out of 10.

Banksy

Cinderella Man , Russell Crowe as James J Braddock contender for the World Heavyweight Boxing crown and Renee Zellweger as his wife.
Excellent film which I’ve watched several times now and took the opportunity of watching again with my youngest grandson whose just taken up boxing , at his request.
10/10

Oldsmobile-88

The Driver(1978)
Driver (Ryan O'Neal) excels at maneuvering getaway vehicles through the tightest of spots, making him quite in demand in criminal circles. His skill and notoriety, however, infuriate the Detective (Bruce Dern), who becomes obsessed with taking the Driver down.

A few great car chases in this film as seemed the norm in that era on celluloid,not the computer generated nonsense of today.

I love these 1970s films set around LA,the scenes shot at Union Station show that the place has not changed(indeed it’s probably the same since it was built in the 1930s)

7/10.

Alistair20000

Overlord 2018. It’s D Day the sixth of June 1944 and a platoon of Americans are flown in on a mission to blow up a tower before the main invasion. I won’t give away what they find there some half an hour into the film to avoid spoiling it for others , but it ain’t only German soldiers.
Much better than I anticipated and well worth spending the 100 minutes on it. 7/10.
Saw it last night and agree with your rating. I would usually mark a J J Abrams production a bit higher but there was something not quite right about this one. Cannot put my finger on exactly what though. 🤔

Banksy

Snowpiercer 2013. After a failed attempt to rectify the global warming crisis the Earth enters into another ice age with the few survivors circling the world in a train. Sounds stupid and it is , so be prepared to suspend your belief. It’s all about the swamp enders in the last carriage fighting their way to the engine through the elite carriages. Unusual sci-fi film with plenty of action starring Chris Evans and cameo roles from John Hurt and Ed Harris. Different , 6/10

Stelios

The Big Short (Christian Bale, Steve Carrell, Brad Pitt etc). On the iplayer. 4 days left.

A film about the 2008 housing/banking collapse that started in the USA. Wait, Hold on. It's actually really good, honest.

It's about the people who predicted a collapse was imminent and bet on it happening despite the entire banking industry saying they were insane as housing will never collapse and prices will only ever go up............

Really well done. Fast paced. Almost more of a docu-drama than a film. Some very good explainers to help non-finance people (i.e. me) to help you try and keep up with what happened. Basically a lot of fraud and criminality that ended up getting bailed out. By us. If you weren't angry at bankers before. You should be after watching this.

Also features a bizarre scene in a pub in "Exmouth". Believe it or not.

iscalad

The Big Short (Christian Bale, Steve Carrell, Brad Pitt etc). On the iplayer. 4 days left.

A film about the 2008 housing/banking collapse that started in the USA. Wait, Hold on. It's actually really good, honest.

It's about the people who predicted a collapse was imminent and bet on it happening despite the entire banking industry saying they were insane as housing will never collapse and prices will only ever go up............

Really well done. Fast paced. Almost more of a docu-drama than a film. Some very good explainers to help non-finance people (i.e. me) to help you try and keep up with what happened. Basically a lot of fraud and criminality that ended up getting bailed out. By us. If you weren't angry at bankers before. You should be after watching this.

Also features a bizarre scene in a pub in "Exmouth". Believe it or not.
It really happened. The pub, I believe, was the Powder Monkey.

Stelios

The Innocents (1961) is on Talking Pictures TV on Thursday 23:00.

A nanny (Deborah Kerr) is hired to look after 2 children in a creepy mansion. What could go wrong? Very well done and unsettling. Worth recording (to fast forward through the adverts).