• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last film watched..

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Green Book: Story of Don Shirley, A black classical and jazz pianist on a tour of the Deep South in 1960's America withTony Lip, Who was employed to drive him on tour, Lip was a bouncer in New York and a tough guy and the film shows both men trying to get along with each other and with the backdrop of racism it is a really interesting story. If the scenes are realistic then to be Black, in the South, in the 60's was not easy. Shirley played these concerts to the people who were biggoted and he couldn't even eat or stay in the same places as the people who came to see him play because he was black! A very good film and a Oscar winner that is actually worth watching. 8/10

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Margaret Dumont is so deadpan to the Marx Brothers insults she really looked totally confused at times.
I remember reading once that her confusion was absolutely genuine! :)

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I remember reading once that her confusion was absolutely genuine! :)
"In most of her interviews and press profiles, Dumont preserved the myth of her on-screen character: the wealthy, regal woman who never quite understood the jokes. However, in a 1942 interview with the World Wide Features press syndicate, Dumont said, "Scriptwriters build up to a laugh, but they don't allow any pause for it. That's where I come in. I ad lib—it doesn't matter what I say—just to kill a few seconds so you can enjoy the gag. I have to sense when the big laughs will come and fill in, or the audience will drown out the next gag with its own laughter... I'm not a stooge, I'm a straight lady. There's an art to playing straight. You must build up your man, but never top him, never steal the laughs from him."
For decades, film critics and historians have theorized that because Dumont never broke character or smiled at Groucho's jokes, she did not "get" the Marxes' humor. On the contrary, Dumont, a seasoned stage professional, maintained her "straight" appearance to enhance the Marxes' comedy. In 1965, shortly before Dumont's death, The Hollywood Palace featured a recreation of "Hooray for Captain Spaulding" (from the Marxes' 1930 film Animal Crackers) in which Dumont can be seen laughing at Groucho's ad-libs — proving that she got the jokes.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
Tex (1982) Starring Matt Dillon, Jim Meltzer and Meg Tilly

Two young brothers from Oklahoma who's mother has died and are saddled with a useless and often absent father, struggle to make ends meet.

The film had good reviews when it first came out but I just watched and watched until it said "The End." 6/10

iscalad

The Big Sleep. Humphrey Bogart as Philip Marlowe, Lauren Bacall as the "broad". What more could you want? Sheer bliss. ,10/10

Banksy

The Big Sleep. Humphrey Bogart as Philip Marlowe, Lauren Bacall as the "broad". What more could you want? Sheer bliss. ,10/10
Yes , really liked Bogey and Bacall . Thought she was a great actress , sultry voice and looks.

CC

Watched Jumanji over the weekend. This was the 2017 one, I've never seen the one with Robin Williams in. 4 school kids end up in detention where they find the old Jumanji game and get sucked into it. Nerdy boy becomes tough guy hero the Rock, Jock (American) footballer becomes his sidekick (Kevin Hart), nerdy girl becomes kick ass beauty (Karen Gillan - pretty much my reason for watching the film in the first place) and pretty, shallow girl becomes tubby middle aged man (Jack Black). Lots of comedy ensues with some proper laugh out loud moments as the team gets used to their new dynamic and the change of physical characteristics that they have encountered.

Of course they realise that they have to get along and work together to beat the game and return to the real world, but it wasn't too shmaltzy and the casting was really good. 9/10

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Big Sleep.
I remember my old Dad nodding off whilst watching that!:)

iscalad

The Third Man. Absolute classic. The cuckoo clock speech, sublime. Another 10/10

Alistair20000

The Third Man. Absolute classic. The cuckoo clock speech, sublime. Another 10/10
Bugger. Missed it.