• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Last Band you saw

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
What happened to this thread?

Anyway saw Paul Weller last week, excellent gig as usual.

What was more interesting was the support act, The Zombies, a band that I always considered to be even before my time and with an authentic line up! I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would be watching Colin Blunstone and Rod Argent together again and in such fine form. Granted the concert was held up for about 15 minutes whilst Argent had to have some hearing device stuck back in his ear but all in all it was a good gig.

Your never to old to learn, apparently "It's Hold Your Head up High, Woman" and not "Hold Your Head up, Woah" as I had always heard it!

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
As long as it wasn't some spotty 16 yr old telling you the correct words mate.

STURTZ

Wouldn't call Rod Argent a spotty 16 year old, far from it!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The late lamented Vintage TV featured The Zombies quite heavily with live shows etc.

Grecian2K

Total envy for you there Sturtz! (Especially The Zombies - along with the Moody Blues they were the "Godfathers" of Prog IMHO, to my everlasting gratitude! :D)

Never saw them first time round - even I'm slightly too young for that - but remember seeing Argent at Exeter Uni in the mid 70s (Rod & Colin era). Superb musicianship!

Where was the gig btw? Sad I missed it. Might have tried to go but "no-one told me about it! ;) "

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

Total envy for you there Sturtz! (Especially The Zombies - along with the Moody Blues they were the "Godfathers" of Prog IMHO, to my everlasting gratitude! :D)

Never saw them first time round - even I'm slightly too young for that - but remember seeing Argent at Exeter Uni in the mid 70s (Rod & Colin era). Superb musicianship!

Where was the gig btw? Sad I missed it. Might have tried to go but "no-one told me about it! ;) "
A localish place you can catch them at from time to time is The Flying Fish, at Ashill near Ilminster (until recently known as the Square and Compass). Won't be for a while though as they are off touring the USA from mid August (Pate can see them in Phoenix !).

Next band of note at the Fish, is Paul Young's Los Pacaminos in early October.

Spoonz Red E

remember seeing Argent at Exeter Uni in the mid 70s (Rod & Colin era). Superb musicianship!
Were they supported by Pilot? That was a great gig. Totally surprised at how much of a solid rock band Pilot were as I only knew them from their pop hits.

iscalad

Were they supported by Pilot? That was a great gig. Totally surprised at how much of a solid rock band Pilot were as I only knew them from their pop hits.
Pilot supported Sparks.

Grecian2K

Think it might possibly have been, Spoonz. Was it in "January"? Either way it was a "Magic" gig! ;)

Agree totally with the actual musical credentials of some of those "manufactured" 70s pop bands.

The Sweet could match Purple or Sabbath rock for rock - just check out some of their b-sides.

Also recall both Chicory Tip and Middle of the Road playing Exmouth Pav back in those days too. Forget "Son of my Father" and "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep". Once they'd got the obligatory hits out the way both sets of musicians could really rock if let off their corporate leashes!

Last edited:

Spoonz Red E

Pilot supported Sparks.
You're right.
I saw that gig as well.

Racking my brains now to remember who supported Argent.