• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Largest away followings at SJP

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was wondering what the largest away support there has been at SJP ?

Obviously these days away support is all ticket & restricted.
The largest I have seen was probably the estimated 6,000 from Sheffield Weds in April 1980 when they were within touching distance of promotion.The game was not all ticket(as was the norm back then)the BB was given to them in the expectation of the large travelling numbers(a good call)

About 3,000 Wolves followers for the infamous FA Cup game in 1978,also sticks in my mind.

The first time we played Argyle for years in a League Cup game in 1976. A estimated 3,000 Janners on a day trip to Devons Capital.

Any others ?

Last edited:

iscalad

Man United in 1969

Oldsmobile-88

Man United in 1969
Any idea of numbers ?

iscalad

Any idea of numbers ?
Nope, sorry. Just biggest gate in 50 years.

Oldsmobile-88

Any idea of numbers ?
Just to answer my own question :D..I suppose they had 20% of the allocation which would have been 3,700.

Red Monster

Man Utd 69 looked about 800/1000.

Both Sheffield Wednesday and Burnley were given the old Big Bank on the last game of the season being League
Champions ,Sheffield Wednesday definitely filled it 4.5k+.
Burnley way over 3k.

Jack Charlton was manager of Wednesday at the time we won 1-0

We beat Burnley 4-1 a very young first year pro Richard Pears scored two.

Last edited:

Leads

Anyone know the exact amount the away end can hold now? From memory it's only just over 1000. There would definitely be a few clubs in League One who could potentially bring a lot more.

Oldsmobile-88

Just thought of another couple, Wolves in 1987 & 88..They has the BB on both occasions,they must have had over 2,000+ on the 1987 game(end of the season)

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Anyone know the exact amount the away end can hold now? From memory it's only just over 1000. There would definitely be a few clubs in League One who could potentially bring a lot more.
950...It was 1,000(as purchased)The end bay at the IP Stand end is modified so wheelchair users can use that end.
As a aside SJP is one of the few grounds in the EFL that has disabled areas on all 4 sides.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

In recent times(relatively!) when we played Bristol Rovers in 2002/03.Both teams were at the bottom of the table,towards the butt end of the season,this coupled with R&L aversion to all ticket games(I wonder why ?) resulted in the SJ Rd end & A Block in the OG being packed with Gas Heads with loads still waiting to get in.
The end two blocks of the Flybe were quickly vacated by the sparse number of city fans sat in that area.
The fans waiting to get in were put in there.No segregation netting nonsense either.I doubt that would get ‘signed off’ these days...No issue at all with the Gas Heads that day(I was sat in the next block)

I reckon about 2,000 from Bristol that afternoon.