• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Justice at last for the 96

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can't see a thread on this and the original Hillsborough thread being locked i thought i'd put it on here and say at last, After 27 long years total vindication to the 96 who died on the 15th April 1989. I hope by this verdict that the families an friends of all those who lost their lives and the ones who still live through this after witnessing it first hand can now find some sort of peace. Those on here who tried to blame the fans, I hope you hang your heads in shame, Read the verdict, Total vindication an no blame put on them!

iscalad

Too right to. Cover up of epic proportions.

Benguin

Can't see a thread on this and the original Hillsborough thread being locked i thought i'd put it on here and say at last, After 27 long years total vindication to the 96 who died on the 15th April 1989. I hope by this verdict that the families an friends of all those who lost their lives and the ones who still live through this after witnessing it first hand can now find some sort of peace. Those on here who tried to blame the fans, I hope you hang your heads in shame, Read the verdict, Total vindication an no blame put on them!
Totally agree, very moving reading all the reports.

Hope those affected feel a real sense of relief tonight.

oxford don

To be blunt did you really expect any other conclusion to be made. Caesar has been told what Caesar wanted to hear. Someone has to be made culpable. This is 21st century Britain after all.

Were you there, I suspect not. I was, as was my Brother and Cousin and two close friends and Colleagues.

We saw with our own eyes the events unfold at the Leppings Lane end and have given statement and accounts at the time and since and no enquiry of 25 years will change our opinion of what we considered to be causes ( and I mean multiple causes ) of that terrible disaster, which we witnessed first hand.

I don't think you are in a position to pontificate on the opinion of those who you say blame the fans.

I hope there is closure to this now and that the affected to indeed get the compensation they deserve but I fear the Liverpudlians will still keep chipping away until such time as arrests are made and convictions successful.

Many still opine the Liverpool fans should bear some responsibility and from our viewpoint there is some credence to those observations.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject and I hope this topic is locked down before it disintegrates like the last one.

Last edited:

DB9

To be blunt did you really expect any other conclusion to be made. Caesar has been told what Caesar wanted to hear. Someone has to be made culpable. This is 21st century Britain after all.

Were you there, I suspect not. I was, as was my Brother and Cousin and two close friends and Colleagues.

We saw with our own eyes the events unfold at the Leppings Lane end and have given statement and accounts at the time and since and no enquiry of 25 years will change our opinion of what we considered to be causes ( and I mean multiple causes ) of that terrible disaster, which we witnessed first hand.

I don't think you are in a position to pontificate on the opinion of those who you say blame the fans.

I hope there is closure to this now and that the affected to indeed get the compensation they deserve but I fear the Liverpudlians will still keep chipping away until such time as arrests are made and convictions successful.

Many still opine the Liverpool fans should bear some responsibility and from our viewpoint there is some credence to those observations.

That's all I'm going to say on the subject and I hope this topic is locked down before it disintegrates like the last one.
No you're right i was not there an hearing that you were my heart sinks. I am going on what happened today, A 2 year enquiry with witness statements from others who were there an people who were suppose to be in charge who have admitted that they were out of their depths an now the verdict which exonerated the fans, I can only go by that an i still say I'm relieved that the verdict was declared an those involved can move on an now if there are any criminal charges it is up to the CPS an no else to "Lynch"

oxford don

No you're right i was not there an hearing that you were my heart sinks. I am going on what happened today, A 2 year enquiry with witness statements from others who were there an people who were suppose to be in charge who have admitted that they were out of their depths an now the verdict which exonerated the fans, I can only go by that an i still say I'm relieved that the verdict was declared an those involved can move on an now if there are any criminal charges it is up to the CPS an no else to "Lynch"
Thank you... My Brother was only 17 and badly affected at the time...I don't think he's been to a football match since. It was indeed a terrible experience to witness and one none of us can ever forget.

sladie

Oxford, i can only imagine what it was like, i was 12, watched it happen on Grandstand with Gran (i also watched the bradford fire with her aswell, good old days of her doing the Pools each week :) )

Anyway, back to the point, hindsight is a wonderful thing, ive never been sure if i blamed the police because they were in the wrong (now proved to have been) or because you could see flash points happening, like opening the gates or not stopping 2000 fans enter the centre pens (FFS 1989 and Supporters still treated like animals in metal pens)

BUT we have to remember that in 1989 Liverpool fans werent famed for being decent honest fans, fighting and the like was common at most grounds and the Police had an easy scape goat

Because of that day football has changed so much, mostly for the better, so in that respect some good has come from it, i hope lessons are learnt and the families can move forward

JF96

happygrecian

The evidence and verdict are pretty damning about how and why the 96 died. The lies and the cover up after the event are totally inexcusable. The people responsible do need to be held to account and should not be allowed to slip away into early retirement. Apologies from some quarters are still very reserved or non-existent.

It happened to be Liverpool fans in those pens that day, but could as easily have been fans from another city. I suspect it was an awful lot easier for the authorities and sections of the media to vilify and blame the fans of Liverpool for their own deaths than it might have been if they'd been Spurs or even Grecian fans. I also doubt if any other city in England would have had the resilience to battle 27 years for justice like Liverpool has.

Let's not forget how demonised football fans were by the Tory government in the 80s. Treated like cattle, herded into pens and marshalled with little or no respect by Police. The authorities' contempt for football supporters was another sign of their contempt for anything perceived as working class. Hillsborough would not have happened if the government of the time had not ordered clubs to install those pens and fences in the first place.

Antony Moxey

We've all got 20/20 hindsight, and I find it difficult to go with the deification of football fans (not just Liverpool fans) of the day. Fences were put up for a reason and in response to fans' behaviour at that time, not just because the government didn't like football.

I'm glad in the end the actions of those in authority have been finally shown to be at fault and think the verdict the correct one, I'm not so sure on the answer to question six though.

happygrecian

Yes, I agree it's easy to be wise after the event, but what's absolutely inexcusable is that the South Yorkshire Police blatantly lied about key events and clearly organised a cover-up. Some good can only come out of "accidents" if people involved or responsible are absolutely honest about their causes so that lessons can be learnt. Blaming the fans was clearly passing the buck, and the authorities covering their own backs at the expense of victims and families. How can that be defended?