• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jordan Storey Watch

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Marcus Rashford only played for Man United because James Wilson and Will Keane got injured in quick succession.
According to you.

Anyway Rashford was only 18 at the time, when did you expect him to be playing ? When he was 9 ?

Storey was 20 when he made his debut, he should have been in the squad much earlier. He wasn't even on the bench before his debut, also we are Exeter City, not Manchester United.

Similar story to Watkins who also should have had a lot more game time at an earlier age.

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Rashford was only 18 at the time, when did you expect him to be playing ? When he was 9 ?

Storey was 20 when he made his debut, he should have been in the squad much earlier. He wasn't even on the bench before his debut, also were are Exeter City, not Manchester United.
Was there any clamour for Storey before he came in? I don't recall anyone saying "Oh, we should pick that Jordan Storey" in their chosen line-ups before he was picked. Ampadu? Yes. Sparkes? Yes. Storey? No.

He seized his chance when he came in, somewhat out of left field, but let's not pretend anyone was saying before he was picked that he should be, so while in hindsight it may be correct to say he should have been playing earlier, at the time nobody seemed to think so, at least until he did play.

I make the comparison correctly as Rashford was about 8th in the pecking order at Man United (whatever his age), behind players like Wilson and Keane and only played because there was nobody else. He came in and seized his chance, Wilson and Keane are now mere bylines in United's history (I *think* Wilson is still officially a United player but out on loan).

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was there any clamour for Storey before he came in? I don't recall anyone saying "Oh, we should pick that Jordan Storey" in their chosen line-ups before he was picked. Ampadu? Yes. Sparkes? Yes. Storey?
Hardly anyone had seen him, Tisdale and his staff were seeing him every day and only picked him in a moment of desperation. If the likes of Seaborne and T A H weren't always injured / so poor Storey wouldn't have played. Storey should have been way ahead of those two, Seaborne was a joke when he played last season yet Tisdale was keener on him than Storey.

Show me where there has been a clamour for Sparkes to play regularly ? Is your definition of clamour the odd person ?

Last edited:

Terryhall

Hardly anyone had seen him, Tisdale and his staff were seeing him every day and only picked him in a moment of desperation. If the likes of Seaborne and T A H weren't always injured / so poor Storey wouldn't have played.
This is just arguing for the sake of an argument. There were lots of injuries and he got recalled from loan to cover, and then made himself indispensable by grabbing the chance he was given. He went from seventh choice to first choice because he got an unexpected opportunity and took it. If Tisdale hadn't (only?) signed injury prone players he had worked with before, we might have had a central defensive pair like Dara O'Shea and Aaron Martin and not needed to recall loaned out youth players.

Jordan proved a lot of people wrong (both at the club and the fans) who thought he wouldn't make it. From the perspective of ECFC I am glad he did as the club got an excellent transfer fee for a player that might otherwise have just been released for free following the loan spell. From the perspective of being a human being I am delighted as he gets the chance to show what he can do at a higher level and continue to learn and develop. Another "one of our own" showing what can happen with the right attitude and dedication. Fair play Jordan and well done.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is just arguing for the sake of an argument. There were lots of injuries and he got recalled from loan to cover, and then made himself indispensable by grabbing the chance he was given. He went from seventh choice to first choice because he got an unexpected opportunity and took it. If Tisdale hadn't (only?) signed injury prone players he had worked with before, we might have had a central defensive pair like Dara O'Shea and Aaron Martin and not needed to recall loaned out youth players.

Jordan proved a lot of people wrong (both at the club and the fans) who thought he wouldn't make it. From the perspective of ECFC I am glad he did as the club got an excellent transfer fee for a player that might otherwise have just been released for free following the loan spell. From the perspective of being a human being I am delighted as he gets the chance to show what he can do at a higher level and continue to learn and develop. Another "one of our own" showing what can happen with the right attitude and dedication. Fair play Jordan and well done.
How do you work out I am arguing for the sake of an argument when you have pretty much agreed with everything I have posted on this situation.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not much to see here. Deciding the right time to blood a youngster depends on many factors. I think managers are always thinking that if they blood too young and the player screws up it might have a negative impact on their confidence. I think the club did the right thing with Watkins and Storey and the proof is in the pudding. For Jamie Reid however it didn't work out.

Terryhall

How do you work out I am arguing for the sake of an argument when you have pretty much agreed with everything I have posted on this situation.
Your post said "Storey should have been way ahead of those two". My point is, literally nobody expected him to have the impact he did, and anyone claiming that the club should have seen that and played him sooner is ignoring the reality of what actually happened to try and look clever.

He got a very unexpected chance and he took it and it is great for all concerned that he did. However there is no criticism to be levelled at the club for "not playing him sooner" which seems to be the point you are trying to make. We should be pleased and grateful that he did as well as he did when given his chance, but trying to paint it as a mistake by the club is just arguing for the sake of it.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
On the "clamour" for Sparkes, he was being discussed some months before his debut:

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?58638-Jack-Sparkes&highlight=sparkesworld

But hey, it's pretty obvious this rewriting of history re: Storey is merely another stick with which to beat our former manager with.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
The coaching staff saw him day in day out, if they couldn't look at him and think he was a better option than T A H and Seaborne then there was clearly something wrong.

I'm not being clever in hindsight here either, it was obvious from the moment he played against Luton he was a very good young defender.

If the likes of JMT and Troy were the only ones ahead of him you would have a point, they weren't so I consider you to be wrong.

Terryhall

The coaching staff saw him day in day out, if they couldn't look at him and think he was a better option than T A H and Seaborne then there was clearly something wrong.

I'm not being clever in hindsight here either, it was obvious from the moment he played against Luton he was a very good young defender.

If the likes of JMT and Troy were the only ones ahead of him you would have a point, they weren't so I consider you to be wrong.
The coaching staff at Dorchester you mean? He was out on loan, not at the C&F.

You're right, he was seventh choice as I posted, because (and this is the point you are deliberately ignoring) none of the staff (or the fans) thought he was our best defender. He proved everybody wrong and that worked out well for all of us. There is nothing more to it than that. There are more than enough good reasons to be critical of Tisdale without inventing others just for the sake of being pointlessly outraged on the internet.