• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jonathan Forte ?

Stelios

Very sad news for Forte. I know we all get frustrated but easy to forget the human going through it all (physical and mental).

The major problem with an unfit or half fit Forte is that he never struck me as an impact player able to change a game by coming off the bench for 10 or 20 minutes. He seemed to need time to grow into a game. Whenever he came off the bench he often looked off the pace and barely made an impact. But that maybe because he just simply wasn't fit most of the time if he's unable to train properly.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed. Surely it’s not worth the risk for him. Maybe the club will monitor things and if it gets too much for him then some kind of arrangement will be made to let him go....
The problem is that the player has to agree to accept a package to go. I understand that this is becoming less and less common in the modern game, as players tend to want to see out their contracts.

Langer

It’s a real shame I like Forte but if it’s going to be a huge drain on resources to achieve very little it might be better for all party’s for him to retire from playing and make the step into coaching if that is what he fancies.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s a real shame I like Forte but if it’s going to be a huge drain on resources to achieve very little it might be better for all party’s for him to retire from playing and make the step into coaching if that is what he fancies.
I've no idea how it works but surely insurance must play a part if a player is forced to retire on medical grounds and is unable to fulfill his contract.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Happy 33rd birthday to Jonathan.

We're expecting an announcement about his future soon.

hienzeECFC

not sure he would see it that way...he wont get another contract it seems so wouldn't blame him for staying on and collecting his wages while he prepares for a life beyond football.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
not sure he would see it that way...he wont get another contract it seems so wouldn't blame him for staying on and collecting his wages while he prepares for a life beyond football.
So we will have to offer him a package I guess. Does any insurance against this come into the equation in any way?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So we will have to offer him a package I guess. Does any insurance against this come into the equation in any way?
There should be an insurance payout. Means he can't play in the football league again.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Any insurance payout is likely to be complicated by the nature of his injury. If he was injured during a match, then this wouldn't be so probelmatic. The problem lies with the fact that his is a "wear and tear" injury. I would imagine it would complicate things for the club.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
As well as the insurance aspect, players who are in the PFA pension scheme are entitled to benefits if they have to retire early through "incapacity".