• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jonathan Forte ?

Boyo

Forte likes to play off the shoulder and run the channels. He’s not a target man and will struggle when opposition defences sit deep.

Against MK was probably his best performance that I have witnessed.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Effort is admirable but it needs to be directed in the right way. It would be great to have a combination - like Banks and Curtis, or Kellow and Beer, or Neville and Rowbotham..I think if our midfield was only the standard of our attack we'd be in trouble. It's our midfield (and solid central defense) which is doing it for us. I fear Bowman and Forte will be no great shakes, with respect to Bowman who hasn't been played much recently.
Since Jayden left we have only conceded 2 goals in five games. Is that just a co-incidence or are we are deliberately playing more defensively knowing we are likely to score less goals?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Since Jayden left we have only conceded 2 goals in five games. Is that just a co-incidence or are we are deliberately playing more defensively knowing we are likely to score less goals?
I would say that it's the rapid development of O'Shea combined with his partnership with Moxey plus Sweeney playing better again with Woodman stepping up to the plate that has strengthened our defense. Midfielders seem to be working hard, too. To put it simply, we're just playing better. Competition for places also helps.

Matt Russell

I can think of several ways of describing how we played vs MK Dons, but "deliberately defensively" isn't one of them.

Colesman Ballz

I can think of several ways of describing how we played vs MK Dons, but "deliberately defensively" isn't one of them.
Well of course it is said "That attack is the best form of defence". :)

Stelios

The standing ovation after being subbed v MKD was good for his confidence, he really felt the love and it was palpable.

Jonathan could be key for the run in.
Noticed Eric Kinder had a word and gave him a proper "well played lad" type greeting when he came off too.

His movement, closing down and running was very good. Need to see it every game now. He didn't seem to click at all with Stockley at the end of last year. I was hoping/expecting Bowman to knocking on headers etc to Forte but not sure we need to go route one if L Martin, Holmes and Law are running around like they did on Sat.

Haven't even seen much of Bowman let alone Williams and Wilson. Lots of options. Just need someone to stick 'em in the net.

IndoMike

Like the idea of a running, pressng team. I kinda hope Matt doesn't feel obliged to change that in order to find a place for Bowman.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair point, I was thinking more of the three games before that. Was last weekend just a blip or will we be able to re-produce performances like that?

Stelios

A few quotes from MT following the MK game:

"It is talked about and it is thought about. But Jonno was my number ten at the start of the season, to go alongside Jayden. I almost had two number nines, so I know he's got goals in him," Taylor said.

"We have to keep him fit and keep him enjoying his football because his work-rate and energy was excellent and I want him to keep hurting defenders as much as he possibly can.

"He is more physical than he probably believes, if that makes sense. He can head it, he can run and he is so strong physically. He is a real handful."

"He has got pace in abundance and he showed that against MK. We felt we could hurt their back three, four or even a five at times, with physicality and pace and Jonno has got that in abundance.

"His goals will come. I am sure of that, his goals will come and a lot was made of the penalty miss against Cambridge, but he's a good player.

"We are delighted to have Jonno at the club and his work rate and energy at the top end of the pitch set us off and with Lee Holmes and Lee Martin either side of him, that's not a bad front three.

cambmike

Surely the big change since Jayden left is that are playing a different game without the big number 9 to aim at.