• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jay Stansfield

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
No, I'm just as ****** off about the impending Ben Crisene rip off.

All I want is a couple of seasons out of the boys, like we got from Friend or Watkins. Then sell them on for proper money.

Last edited:

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
And Grimes

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
All I want is a couple of seasons out of the boys, like we got from Friend or Watkins. Then sell them on for proper money.
Exactly this, and I think the success rate is higher for those that actually play for us before moving on. Friend and Moxey both played prem, Grimes currently captaining Swansea in the Championship, Watkins will be in the Prem by this time next year. As opposed to Goss who's career appears to be going no where fast, and the lad that went to Bolton(?) a few years back, never to be heard of again.

Playing real football for real points, even in L2, is a sure way to learn the game and at the same time give yourself the exposure to move to a bigger club. I know if I was in the City academy and I was offered a pro deal at age 16 I would take it over an option of moving to Fulhams academy.

grecIAN Harris

Exactly this, and I think the success rate is higher for those that actually play for us before moving on. Friend and Moxey both played prem, Grimes currently captaining Swansea in the Championship, Watkins will be in the Prem by this time next year. As opposed to Goss who's career appears to be going no where fast, and the lad that went to Bolton(?) a few years back, never to be heard of again.

Playing real football for real points, even in L2, is a sure way to learn the game and at the same time give yourself the exposure to move to a bigger club. I know if I was in the City academy and I was offered a pro deal at age 16 I would take it over an option of moving to Fulhams academy.
And we'll get more like Grimes, Freund, Deano and the likes of Sercs and Tommy Niche than we will Stanno Jnr and Goss. Unfortunately $4!t happens those like Stanno Jnr and Goss will happen. Deal with it, it's simply just how it is.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
And we'll get more like Grimes, Freund, Deano and the likes of Sercs and Tommy Niche than we will Stanno Jnr and Goss. Unfortunately $4!t happens those like Stanno Jnr and Goss will happen. Deal with it, it's simply just how it is.
True, but we don't have to like it!

Pobbop

I have to say, I never much understand people moaning about individual threads, just do not click on it, if you are not interested.

I think there was Goss hype, but as he didn't really score many goals or progress that much, not much too talk about.

I am a little worried about all this, and the Carlisle story, the thing is I generally think it's important to see our players from the academy do well, because it puts others in the shop window, but if this just means they'll get nicked before they are proper city players for peanuts it's a worry.

****** if I know what we can do about it though, and we have to keep producing, as even the peanuts is good for us, and we will still get a few through to the first team.🤷‍♂️

grecIAN Harris

I didn't say we had to but when push comes to shove, the way things have been recently we'll back more winners and gain the benefits from than we'll lose to the big fish.

chunkymorrinmunter

I have to say, I never much understand people moaning about individual threads, just do not click on it, if you are not interested.

I think there was Goss hype, but as he didn't really score many goals or progress that much, not much too talk about.

I am a little worried about all this, and the Carlisle story, the thing is I generally think it's important to see our players from the academy do well, because it puts others in the shop window, but if this just means they'll get nicked before they are proper city players for peanuts it's a worry.

****** if I know what we can do about it though, and we have to keep producing, as even the peanuts is good for us, and we will still get a few through to the first team.🤷‍♂️
just offer them a offer they cant refuse to sign a pro contract.

STURTZ

We could try and do something about this injustice!

budegrecian

Trouble is the Premiership club are getting smarter, more arrogant & greedier all the time. We can't offer a professional contract to one of our academy players until he's 16, I believe, so all that the likes of Chelsea have to do is identify the real gems & lure them away before they reach that age. With the success rate of our academy, they'll soon have a minibus parked up & waiting at the Cat & Fiddle.
Ollie Watkins wasn't setting the world alight at that age & to some extent he came through under the radar, likewise Archie Collins. Hopefully some of the current young pro's will similarly make an impact now that we've got them signed up. But with the likes of Ben Chrisene we can only hope that they do 'the decent thing' by us, in the same way Ethan did or better still sign a contract like Jack Sparkes did.