• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

January Transfer Window Ins Outs And Rumours

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I'm expecting very little action. Though of course we will always be worried that one of our "stars" will get bought by a club from a higher division likely Stockley last season.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm expecting very little action. Though of course we will always be worried that one of our "stars" will get bought by a club from a higher division likely Stockley last season.
For what it's worth, I don't think any of our stars are ready to go yet. Archie won't be going anywhere until this time next year at the earliest. Sparksey is very obviously injured. Randall is too inconsistent and Lewis Ward is on his way back from injury.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
For what it's worth, I don't think any of our stars are ready to go yet. Archie won't be going anywhere until this time next year at the earliest. Sparksey is very obviously injured. Randall is too inconsistent and Lewis Ward is on his way back from injury.
I suppose from our perspective that the January window is one about quick fixes rather than any long term planning by a buying club, so our starlets should be safe.

scottus86

Unless we lose someone l, I don't think we need to sign anyone. Maybe a loan replacement for Sparkes but that's all

IndoMike

Our budget is spent, so unless there are departures, I cannot see reinforcements arriving any time soon.
We know precisely what we need now : a left- sided full back / wing back : more or less everything else is covered. Not sure how the loan market works in terms of paying salaries but surely it wouldn't cost the earth to get someone in for 5 months, especially if someone is loaned out.
So whilst I agree that it's important not to risk our finances, exceeding the budget a little considering the possible reward is not irresponsible.

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
Re the budget don't know if we have spent anything we expect to get from the boateng tribunal? Would be great if the efl would pull its finger out and schedule it for this month.

Saturday is a potential opportunity to boost the budget if we could get that £40k.

I think we need to seriously look at a left sided defender, if we can use a contact hopefully we could get a loan in with the other club paying majority of the wages. Might work if the loaning club wants to get their player game time.

I don't like not be able to get in loans after January as it tempts clubs to bring bodies in , in case. We can't predict what future injuries we might suffer, and we might potentially lose ground if we lose people later on. Under the old system we could afford to hold off a little to see what happens, and look for a couple of loans in February or March if struggling.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
We know precisely what we need now : a left- sided full back / wing back : more or less everything else is covered. Not sure how the loan market works in terms of paying salaries but surely it wouldn't cost the earth to get someone in for 5 months, especially if someone is loaned out.
So whilst I agree that it's important not to risk our finances, exceeding the budget a little considering the possible reward is not irresponsible.
What if the budget is already exceeded?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
But the club have already admitted that income has exceeded expectations this season.

Jam Doughnut

We have a good chance of going up so maybe we shouldn't be so cautious with our money and bring a few in .
The attendances are higher than expected , the boateng money will be coming and then we have the ollie watkins mega money millions coming in the summer!
we are looking good now but 2 or 3 more injuries and it could all go wrong and we will be stuck in league 2 for yet another season

IndoMike

It depends by how much.
I guess the prize money for getting through to FA Cup was not included in the budget neither was the prize money for the EFL thingy. That must be worth around 40- 50k.
I'm not talking about scores of thousands of pounds : I'm talking about a loan until the end of the season. It could be argued that not to fork out (say) 20k for that loan would be a false economy. It's not about what we would like to heve: it's about what we need.