• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
It was a big call by MT to start Jack in two successive away league games, with important defensive responsibilities, bearing in mind Jack is still only 18. I think the club is doing really well in managing his development.Seems like Jack’s time is arriving.

The other interesting thing is that we still don’t know what will be his best position. Is he best as an attacker or as a defender?

benjisheps

I think a lot of credit needs to go to MT in him continuing to give our best Academy players opportunities with the first team. With this being his first managerial job and the pressure to do well it can't be as easy as many of us expect to blood the youngsters.

In just over one season he has brought through Archie Collins and Jack Sparkes, played Matt Jay more than before, and has made Ben Seymour part of the first team squad.
MT must also take much of the credit for Jordan Storey's development while he was the U23 coach as he was 8th choice CB at one stage and Tis didn't really want to play him but had no choice due to all the injuries (including Seaborne and Henville who were ahead of him somehow!!). Storey himself came out in an interview stating how much one on one work he had done with Taylor after trainings etc that greatly aided his development.

He's also given Ben Crisene his debut, though unfortunately i suspect this is also down to trying to drive up the compensation we will receive when he moves on.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting how he's been converted into a wing back. He went out on loan to Salisbury last season & from my understanding played at full back, which would have developed his defensive abilities. I can only assume that this was at our insistence as I'm sure Salisbury would have preferred to play him as a winger. In any event he is now turning into an important member of our squad & hopefully develops in a similar fashion to the way Archie Collins did last season.
Whoever, made the decision to convert him into a wing back or full back it looks like an absolute masterstroke. I don't want to hype him too much after only a couple of appearances but he has already made a difference to the side by allowing Nicky Law to play more centrally and Lee Martin to have more of a free role.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think a lot of credit needs to go to MT in him continuing to give our best Academy players opportunities with the first team. With this being his first managerial job and the pressure to do well it can't be as easy as many of us expect to blood the youngsters.

In just over one season he has brought through Archie Collins and Jack Sparkes, played Matt Jay more than before, and has made Ben Seymour part of the first team squad.
MT must also take much of the credit for Jordan Storey's development while he was the U23 coach as he was 8th choice CB at one stage and Tis didn't really want to play him but had no choice due to all the injuries (including Seaborne and Henville who were ahead of him somehow!!). Storey himself came out in an interview stating how much one on one work he had done with Taylor after trainings etc that greatly aided his development.

He's also given Ben Crisene his debut, though unfortunately i suspect this is also down to trying to drive up the compensation we will receive when he moves on.
One of the reasons Matt Taylor was appointed was because of his record with the youngsters when he was under-23 manager and he would have known that he was expected to play youngsters in the first team. However, that's easier said than done especially as a new manager who is under pressure to get results so Matt Taylor deserves huge credit for the way he has trusted the young players. To pick so many inexperienced players in the team against Oldham was almost unprecedented in its boldness yet none of those players let the manager down or looked out of place. There is clearly an art to managing the transition from the youth team to the first team and no manager ever gets it completely right but Matt Taylor seems to be doing pretty damn well so far.

tonykellowfan

John Terry played all his youth football in midfield. It is not uncommon for players to be moved "backwards" on the pitch as their career progresses.

jimbo-gould

John Terry played all his youth football in midfield. It is not uncommon for players to be moved "backwards" on the pitch as their career progresses.
Ashley Cole too. Used to be a striker.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And in the other direction too - Darran Rowbotham started as a midfielder before moving to centre-forward. There's also that bloke who was a keeper until his early 20's before becoming a very well-respected centre-half - not sure what happened to him but I think his name was Matt Taylor. Can't be many players, though, who have followed Deano's career path and started playing in a completely new position in their 30's.

exeter-loyal

Bottom line is where ever he starts and does a good job it doesn't really matter.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sparkes main asset is his left peg, he has the ability to put some great balls into the box, he can also score goals, his attacking game is far better than his defensive game, long term I don't see him as a left back.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Can't be many players, though, who have followed Deano's career path and started playing in a completely new position in their 30's.
Rob Edwards 😉 centre back and holding midfielder.