• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Jack Sparkes

Well-known Exeweb poster
The grapevine suggests it's another Christy Pym scenario.
which is ?

muppetdodger

which is ?
got too full of himself too quickly

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
which is ?
Thinks he's made it before he's made it...

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
You have to be old and slow to get near the team atm. Think Sparkes has become a little more grounded recently.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Anyone else disappointed we haven't seen more of Sparkes?

I know he's only young and I wasn't expecting him to be a regular yet but I thought we'd have seen him coming off the bench a few times by now. I don,'t know what side he normally plays on as I've only seen him play once at Swindon where he played on the right, but i thought i saw someone say he's normally left sided. If that is the case, is having Edwards on loan keeping him out?

Those of us who saw that game at Swindon will remember how he changed the game when he came on and was the width of the post away from winning us the match. Although I accept basing an opinion on a 15 minute appearance maybe a lititle foolhardy, he looked to have that wonderful fearlessness and freedom you quite often get with young attacking players, and I can't help feeling we should be taking advantage of that before experience, wisdom and coaching knock it out of him.
I can't pretend I haven't thought pretty much the same thing myself. However, in defence of Tis, Ollie Watkins' introduction to the first team seemed to follow a very similar pattern and that didn't turn out too badly!

STURTZ

I can't pretend I haven't thought pretty much the same thing myself. However, in defence of Tis, Ollie Watkins' introduction to the first team seemed to follow a very similar pattern and that didn't turn out too badly!
Yeah be happier if Sparkes went to Truro or somewhere personally, he needs to be brought on slowly.

STURTZ

...in fact Truro might be a good shout, if he can shine at that level then he might prove to be the real deal, Matt Jay wasn't outstanding at Truro last year, hardly prolific.

However Olly Watkins spent a the best part of a season at WSM where he scored 10 in 25 matches. finally returning to the team and establishing himself at age 20.

Spoonz Red E

Good points Sturtz.

Sparkes has definitely got something about him but does need consistent game time in meaningful matches. Ollie had bags of confidence in the youth sides and honed that while out on loan developing his technique and decision making. Sparkes has shown he can take on an opponent and create chances but not consistently so I'd love to see him get more games.

rifraf

Yeah be happier if Sparkes went to Truro or somewhere personally, he needs to be brought on slowly.
Couldn't disagree more. Of the 3 PSFs I saw he stood out a country mile. Fast, confident and prepared to take players on and shoot ........ v successfully.

One of the few no-brainer starting team, ir at least in the bench. Now? Not seen since Swindon away.

I have my theories. Tragic waste if talent in meantime.........

Northern Red

I too saw him at Swindon and was impressed but I said the same about frear at Walsall he looked a special talent