• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it time for the 'Trust/Us' to man up and be serious about owning our club???

Right before I start this isn't a dig at the Trust who have done an excellent job in the past of saving the club and helping to steady the ship to allow us to move onto the point we are now at. BUT it is now plainly obvious that the Trust as club owners has to start finding ways of getting some real money into the club if it is to move forward or in fact even stand still. From rumors I have heard flying around the Trust puts around £100k a year into the club. Now if we were privately owned and the owner only put in around £100k a year and we were in the position we are in, they would be getting all kinds of abuse from the dwindling crowds we currently see. There would be cries of get your fffing hand in your pocket you c#*t so we can get somebody in to get us out of this mess or f#@k off etc etc!!!

Now it is much flaunted by the Trust that we now have nearly 5000 members which is excellent. As I understand it the Trust was originally set up to try to get the money together to sign a young Gary Alexander all those moons ago. With this in mind, why couldn't the Trust mobilize a very quick appeal to its members asking for a one off donation of a minimum £10 each to go into a transfer warchest. This money would go straight to Tis to get in a loan player for the rest of the season or to sign a player who could come straight in and make a real difference, not another player with potential to be ready for next season etc etc. Obviously they wouldn't be able to get every single member to pay up, but that shortfall should be made up by people who can afford it, putting extra in with the knowledge that it is going directly to make a transfer happen. Could also dust off the buckets at the next couple of home matches.

If you work on the assumption that you could get 5000 x £10 that gives you £50'000. Starting from the beginning of November there are 32 weeks left until the end of the season. £50'000 divided by 32 = £1562.50 per week that could be put towards a very good loan player from the Championship or a good young Premiership player needing experience ala Mr Alexander in the day. When you think that often the clubs loaning the players out will pay 50% of the wages of their player whilst on loan, it would mean that Tis could get in a £3k a week player which would hopefully make a big difference. If the right player doesn't become available until January that ok as it just means that the 'Warchest' has less weeks to be divided by i.e. £50'000 divided by 25 weeks = £2000 per week etc, etc.

I honestly don't think that we are a million miles off having a team that can stay up in this division. Currently though the players seem to have very, very low confidence and this is a massive problem which can kill a young team. Losing also becomes a habit and we need to get out of that habit NOW as it can run for more than one season with disastrous consequences (see the scum down the road for details)! Start getting a couple of results together and things will change instantly so as far I am concerned it is time for the clubs proud and respected owners (US) to get our hands in our pockets and help sort this mess out. I'm in for £50, anybody else???

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I aint got no cash. tbh idea in principle is good but tbh it wont happen. We have a group who pay Mcnish his wages and tbh ide put that £10 towards watching us play next Saturday

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I aint got no cash. tbh idea in principle is good but tbh it wont happen. We have a group who pay Mcnish his wages and tbh ide put that £10 towards watching us play next Saturday
Whatever happened to McNish? He seemed to be getting quite good reports and then he disappeared. Is he injured?

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Whatever happened to McNish? He seemed to be getting quite good reports and then he disappeared. Is he injured?
tbh i actually dont know. I liked the look of him also we will see.

From what I saw of him and from what I heard he seems like a really, really good prospect. The 19/31 fund is a brilliant idea and is something that sooner or later is going to pay off massively.

What I was really getting at was that at this very moment in time, we don't really need more players that are going to be players that are going to be stars in a couple of years time. We need a good player who is going to come in and take this team forward at the business end of the pitch, i.e. the final 3rd of the pitch and get us going again. If as the owners of the club we don't do something about getting some more finance into the club to help on the pitch on a Saturday, the only way the club will be heading is backwards and it is easy for that trend to continue for years to come.

Poultice

If as the owners of the club we don't do something about getting some more finance into the club to help on the pitch on a Saturday
Love the OP and the sentiment but the £50k you are talking about is less than 7% of what an ex Bosser says is being spent on coaching and Directo'rs fees, "as owners of the club" I think we should should look to address that issue before we think about throwing more of our hard earned down the same drain.

IndoMike

From what I saw of him and from what I heard he seems like a really, really good prospect. The 19/31 fund is a brilliant idea and is something that sooner or later is going to pay off massively.

What I was really getting at was that at this very moment in time, we don't really need more players that are going to be players that are going to be stars in a couple of years time. We need a good player who is going to come in and take this team forward at the business end of the pitch, i.e. the final 3rd of the pitch and get us going again. If as the owners of the club we don't do something about getting some more finance into the club to help on the pitch on a Saturday, the only way the club will be heading is backwards and it is easy for that trend to continue for years to come.
Yes: sorry I derailed your thread a bit. You have an idea, and we'll see how much support you get for it. I see one problem could be that even if enough people contributed there would be no guarantee that the right player would be brought in. But, you never know..

Alistair20000

Love the OP and the sentiment but the £50k you are talking about is less than 7% of what an ex Bosser says is being spent on coaching and Directo'rs fees, "as owners of the club" I think we should should look to address that issue before we think about throwing more of our hard earned down the same drain.
Nail on head. Not clear we are getting value for money on our existing contributions. Throwing money at a business is a bad policy in my experience.

LOG

Personally, i reckons we'd be better off going with what we have plus anything we can pick up in January, within current budgets, and seeing where we end up. If that's L2, then so be it.

Asking Trust members for yet more money to lay a stake on a gamble which probably wouldn't pay off is a risky business IMHO. Just say that £50k was raised through an initiative like this, it would be better off being ring fenced for next season.

Anyways, when it comes to fundraising, the BOS should be looking beyond the current membership (and they may well be).

IMHO.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
This was discussed at the last BOS meeting. The overall consensus was that this would not be a good idea at the current time. It was further agreed that before we look at this in the future, there would need to be a clear idea of what the money raised, would be spent on. I think this ought to form part of a full consultation exercise - which I am hopeful the new BOS will embark upon.