• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Is it time for serious changes at the club

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
O.K. then ed, sketch us out a plan to show how we can become a sustainable Championship outfit.
You just got to believe hard enough. Get the stuffy old village fete committee out and get the silicon valley cryptocurrency crew in. Climb the pyramid? OK. Or... Invert the pyramid and then sell it?

ex_user1234

Resigned
O.K. then ed, sketch us out a plan to show how we can become a sustainable Championship outfit.
I'm happy to do it if people keep an open mind.

ex_user1234

Resigned
You just got to believe hard enough. Get the stuffy old village fete committee out and get the silicon valley cryptocurrency crew in. Climb the pyramid? OK. Or... Invert the pyramid and then sell it?
That was quite amusing, I'll give you that!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Put your tin helmet on and post away.

IndoMike

Put your tin helmet on and post away.
I promise I won't say anything. Much better to see the man's plans rather than deal with abstract thoughts. Fire away, Ed

Alistair20000

Ends without means is Utopian but as I am open minded about most things in life I have asked ed to kindly show us the way

Alistair20000

I am very open minded and ready to consider ed but I wonder if a separate dedicated thread might be more appropriate.

ex_user1234

Resigned
Yep, probably. Good idea. I'll set one up. It'll be later this weekend as I have to do stuff outside of Exeweb!

Alistair20000

Yep, probably. Good idea. I'll set one up. It'll be later this weekend as I have to do stuff outside of Exeweb!
Well done. Look forward to it. (y)

Grecian Max

TBH I do think calling those who bring a lot of highly intelligent experience to running the club 'village hall's is a bit insulting but then Max, that's you stirring the pot isn't it? Why is it that younger people wouldn't be interested? Because it's a serious business? Because they might be judged? Because it's not something to take lightly? Because they really aren't interested in running something so complex? If so surely you draw a taking picture of your generation that I just know doesn't exist so maybe it's just how you approach it?
Firstly, I'm not sure which "generation" you're lumping me into. I'm neither yet of the old boys club who remember the pitch when it was a potato field during the war, neither am I a younger lad who's just got into his beers and is following his local team to every away game. In football terms, I'd be a veteran on a pay per play deal (33).

My background is in branding, my expertise is to maximise the selling points of a product/service and tell a story to do that - I can only speak from my perspective - I'm shit with numbers, my organisation skills aren't world-beating and I have little idea of supply chains etc etc. What I am good at is looking at how an organisation is perceived and analysing that - I'm not looking to stir the pot at all, The Trust does come across like a committee of thrown together members, all as Ed says, well meaning but not exactly a bespoke team built for success. This is not the individuals fault, but a structural one. No matter how talented or intelligent people are (and these of course have existed in the 20 years of its existence) with volunteering you're only ever going to get part of someones time (if not a student or a retiree), often when they're tired in the evenings or a weekends.

So, although some might feel insulted - I'm going to stick by the village hall perception. Whether that's true or not it doesn't matter. Everything from the multiple word doc letters through the door to the not being able to vote online (I note that in a recent meeting they're looking to address this, which is good). I have concerns about how people get voted in too - as I've said before, if you know enough people around the ground, such is the turnout. It begs the question - are elections even necessary? Often uncontested, or 8 places for 10 people (or whatever it is) If people want to help and use their expertise, let them help. The current system potentially shuts out "unknowns" or the possibly the marmite characters when they could well bring some energy to it all. Once an election is "lost" (based mainly on votes from mates) that person might not come back again to help. Doesn't make sense to me. It's a small club and an even smaller percentage are willing to give up their time for this stuff.

This may all seem harsh, it's just an honest opinion as to why The Trust fails to engage large sections of our fanbase, no doubt there will be people who feel very differently. Before you ask -- do I have the time to help with any sort of effectiveness? Currently, no. I might in the future, I wouldn't rule it out.