• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ignorance

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
This sort of behaviour certainly predates both Trump and Brexit by some decades.

The big bank can be an embarrassing place to be sometimes
Mainly kids who will safely tucked up in bed by now

It’s not meant to help, it’s meant to belittle. Sadly the devaluing of education and facts (led by the media and embodied by Trump/Brexit) has encouraged the terminally stupid and inadequate to believe that their views are as valid as anyone else’s, and that they will feel better if they take their inadequacies out on someone else.
Let's try and have a football thread without some bore bringing politics into it.

Pointless thread though. Stockley misses and a fan gets frustrated. Big deal. Happens at every ground with a huge number of fans every week.

I called Logie a tosser once coz he scored in the last minute to put us 2 up and cost me £50. Didn't mean I actually thought he was a tosser. Football is about emotions, doesn't all have to be 'bravo nice shot there old sport'

IndoMike

Unless a player is clearly not trying I don't think it's fair to single him out for insults game after game. If he's not good enough or going through a bad time it's up to the manager to give him a break. If a player makes an isolated mistake such as missing an open goal or farking around in defense then it's normal that a fan will shout something, and if the player hears it then it will remind him, if he needs reminding, to do better next time.

100milesaway

Let's try and have a football thread without some bore bringing politics into it.

Pointless thread though. Stockley misses and a fan gets frustrated. Big deal. Happens at every ground with a huge number of fans every week.

I called Logie a tosser once coz he scored in the last minute to put us 2 up and cost me £50. Didn't mean I actually thought he was a tosser. Football is about emotions, doesn't all have to be 'bravo nice shot there old sport'
If it a pointless thread then just ignore it and it’ll go away!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
While I often laugh at the idiocy on display amongst the City support, what some have said in this thread is true. I'd urge people to go to a match as a neutral and stand/sit amongst the home team's equivalent of the Bank to see that it does exist elsewhere.

I did this a few seasons back when I had a pass out for the day as I was due to be heading to our match at Brizzle Rovers that got postponed. By some stroke of fortune Brentford's top of the table clash with Tranmere was one of a handful to survive the weather, and I took myself along, standing on the terrace behind the goal. I found it rather amusing to hear some extremely myopic stuff about the officials and some of the players, knowing full well if I was watching City I'd probably be doing exactly the same thing.

arthur

Coming down the M6 one Saturday afternoon in the early nineties and decided to spend a couple of hours at on the long side at Turf Moor. "Booing t'lads off at half time is one thing, but booing them as they come out at the start the second half is a bit much" remarked the long suffering bloke stood next to me. Football fans - the same the world over.....

geoffwp

I'm guessing it's a crowd thing rather than specifically a sport thing. I don't know much about the psychology of crowds but I do know that being in one alters an individuals behaviour, sometimes quite drastically, from how it might be if they were on their own. Similar in some ways to how it happens on the internet perhaps.

IndoMike

I'm guessing it's a crowd thing rather than specifically a sport thing. I don't know much about the psychology of crowds but I do know that being in one alters an individuals behaviour, sometimes quite drastically, from how it might be if they were on their own. Similar in some ways to how it happens on the internet perhaps.
Football stadiums are colosseums reborn. Crowd mentality, venting life's frustrations, bashing authority (the ref), excitement, boredom, love, hate, justice and injustice et al. Proper job.
Best bloody game in the world.

Boyo

The bloke that stands just behind me on the BB slags off Tilson everytime he makes an error, or a backwards pass. He also has a go at Taylor (Tis previously) every time we concede. He never says anything else about anyone else.