• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ifollow player

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is surely the thin end of the wedge. I am sure many fans will love it and, for those living a considerable distance, I guess it's a boon, bit my fear is that it will encourage absence, especially as there's a saving of £7.00 for adult standing admission, further, whole families can watch a match for £10.00.

How long will it be before some excuse is found to expand if to non international weekends?

I don't like it one bit. Goodness knows life is difficult enough for clubs at our level without this!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
BBC item on coverage https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45448523

What sort of ******ing idiot comes up with a phrase like "determine the future direction of travel"?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Personally I don't think it will hit clubs that hard, I'd say we have a hardcore of at least 2500 fans who will go to games pretty much regardless, for many it's not just about the 90 minutes of football, it's the other things that go with it, meeting up with friends, having a few pints, having a laugh etc etc, watching a game on your laptop just isn't the same for a lot of people, these games being streamed live is great for exiles and those living abroad, who knows when the awareness of the availability of live coverage emerges the club may actually do well out of it, there must be loads of City fans around the world who would love to be able to watch City live, at £10 a pop the club could see it become a nice little bonus.

Spoonz Red E

BBC item on coverage https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45448523

What sort of ******ing idiot comes up with a phrase like "determine the future direction of travel"?
Quite. Also what are we to make of that phrase within context?
"The matches taking place tomorrow (Saturday) will help determine the future direction of travel so we can fully understand what games will be eligible for domestic streaming from 2019-20"
The UEFA regulations have already been mentioned as the determining factor this weekend so what needs to be fully understood?

What will be determined this weekend is the potential of the media revenue pot and, like Pete Martin earlier on this thread, I have misgivings as to the motivating forces behind commercial decisions going forward made by the EFL and their business 'partners'.

Last edited:

denzel

I see that the next two international weekends also coincide with home games, against Swindon and Northampton. Hope our crowds don't suffer as a result.

Stelios

This is surely the thin end of the wedge. I am sure many fans will love it and, for those living a considerable distance, I guess it's a boon, bit my fear is that it will encourage absence, especially as there's a saving of £7.00 for adult standing admission, further, whole families can watch a match for £10.00.

How long will it be before some excuse is found to expand if to non international weekends?

I don't like it one bit. Goodness knows life is difficult enough for clubs at our level without this!
Yes, something doesn't feel quite right about this. It's great for exiles etc but younger generation are happy to consume more and more things online. Millions are watching their peers play football computer games online. If lower league football just becomes another thing to consume online I can't see how that can be a good thing. Yes we have a hardcore but for how long? How easy will it be to just plug your laptop into your TV and watch from your sofa if don't quite fancy it or have had a busy day?

Most of the people attracted to it will be hardcore fans. Fans that the clubs need going through the gates, not sat at home.

sign of the chimes

Agree 100%.

First the introduction of U21 sides to the LDV Vans Trophy, now this. One almost wonders whether Shaun Harvey is acting on behalf of the 72 clubs in the Football Leauge, or someone else?

ECFC89

Beginning of the end. I was tossing up whether to travel down for this, as it would of been tight, but this settles it.
Couldn't give a toss if someone thought I wasn't a loyal supporter,Im looking after my pennies.
Will be interesting to see the attendances around the country today.

Stelios

Beginning of the end. I was tossing up whether to travel down for this, as it would of been tight, but this settles it.
Couldn't give a toss if someone thought I wasn't a loyal supporter,Im looking after my pennies.
Will be interesting to see the attendances around the country today.
You've summed it up in a nutshell.

This would also decimate away support in the lower leagues.

Langer

If they look at figures and see more or less the attending number is roughly the same it could a new revenue stream.