• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

How good are Exeter?

JohnnyD

Not a rhetorical question but genuinely curious.

The opening game of this season was the first for me and my family and the second was today. From my initial view, Exeter are obviously tight at the back -- Dean Moxey looked good today --but a bit disjointed going forward. Manager seems a little conservative but then then being two points clear at the top after six games is nothing to sniff at.

Neither Macclesfield nor Mansfield impressed but that could be because of City but being new to Exeter and League Two, it is hard to say.

Is this the way City will play all season or can we expect more fluency and creativity in attack in the weeks and months to come? Are there more gears to move up into?

And, I would love to know what people think: are City good enough to go up? What would stop them, if anything?

As an aside, this is a really friendly club and we have been made very welcome! It's lovely.

budegrecian

Hi JonnyD, glad that you find our club friendly & welcoming.
How good are we? Well we're top of the table & apparantly the table never lies. That said, it's still very early in the season & a lot will happen before the season ends.
As you have seen, we have a solid defence to build on & in an attacking sense there are certainly more gears to move up into , but we have certainly kicked on from the first game v Macclesfield. Our most creative player was missing today & we still need to bed Nicky Ajose into the side; we are all hoping & expecting him to be able to score a lot at this level. So more to come & I think most of us expect to be in the play offs as a minimum this year.
Keep coming; there will be good games &, no doubt, a few poor ones but it won't be long before you're hooked.

JohnnyD

Thanks Bude Grecian. Do you think Ajose can find a role in the team?

We are all quite excited and are even thinking about a first away trip to Newport.

budegrecian

I think eventually MT has to find a place for Ajose in the team. He should be the man to sneak a goal at some of these tricky away games, in particular.
Go to Newport, there will be a lot of us there. Depending upon where you live, the North Devon Grecians & East Devon Grecians are great to travel with, in addition to Grecian travel.
Right, I'm out to celebrate!

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I would say there's more to come...

David Treharne

I'd say it's work in progress. So far the team hasn't fired for anything like half a game, but when it does, as today showed with several moves we play decisive, attractive football. We need to do that more often. What I am pleased about is that the Manager appears to have lots of options to fit players in, and try different formations. For me a major criticism would be that we get the ball to the by-line outside the box, but there's no-one to meet the crosses. He needs to find someone who is as prolific as Stockley was, but with a greater work rate, and I'm sure there is someone in the squad who can perform that function. There are apparently many more young players who later in the season will be pushing for places. Noah Smerdon and Ben Seymour spring to mind, but as you will see with young players in the is league they need to improve physically, especially against opponents like today's. You'll enjoy Newport if you go - but it rains a lot!

JohnnyD

Newport is very tempting! Out of interest, how many City fans will go, do you think?

Today was a controlled performance and in hindsight quite comfortable (at the time never is!) but City should have sealed the win long before the end.

As David said, there was a lack of bodies in the box at times and the final ball was poor but it was a deserved win.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
We took 727 last season. Behind the goal is open to the elements, to the side the seating is undercover and popular. So if you do want to go and want to sit undercover then don't hang around too long before getting yourself some tickets.

JohnnyD

We took 727 last season. Behind the goal is open to the elements, to the side the seating is undercover and popular. So if you do want to go and want to sit undercover then don't hang around too long before getting yourself some tickets.
Thanks very much. Good to know.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
We'll get better and be more fluid in attack but MT has, first and foremost, built a solid backline. If you dont concede many then you won't go too far wrong.

We still have 2 of our best players to come back that haven't kicked a ball yet this season in Lee Holmes, and Nigel Attangana.

Keep the solid back line and we'll be promoted.