• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Horse racing question

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
Does anyone know why national hunt racing is predominantly outside of London and the south east and flat racing is almost exclusively in London and the south east?

Alistair20000

Does anyone know why national hunt racing is predominantly outside of London and the south east and flat racing is almost exclusively in London and the south east?
National Hunt racing traces back to hunting and Point to Point racing which is why it might be thought of as "country" based. That said, there are and have been a number of city racecourses providing the sport over the years. Many of those have fallen to the property developer such as Hurst Park, Birmingham, Manchester.

I don't accept the proposition that Flat racing is almost exclusively or predominantly in London and the South East. There are tracks nationwide with the largest racing training centre in Newmarket and very popular meetings at places such as York, Newcastle, Chester.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I don't accept the proposition that Flat racing is almost exclusively or predominantly in London and the South East. There are tracks nationwide with the largest racing training centre in Newmarket and very popular meetings at places such as York, Newcastle, Chester.
'Tis probably the other way round - "Why is London and the South East predominantly flat racing".

oxford don

'Tis probably the other way round - "Why is London and the South East predominantly flat racing".
Because National Hunt racing is derived from "flag to flag" or " Spire to spire" (point to point ) racing and has its back bone in Fox Hunting which is primarily a country pursuit. ( the clues in the name)

Initial races between points took place between rivals who rode only hunting bred horses who were best able to negotiate the hedges, walls, brooks and ditches encountered ( now replicated in modern day NH courses).. Hunter chases are still a popular way of introducing novice chasers to the Rules and also something they often go back to on retirement from racing under rules.

There are dual purpose tracks in the SE and the North... Sandown, Kempton, Doncaster, Haydock, Newcastle come to mind and also Flat only tracks outside of London such as Ripon, Thirsk, Pontefract,

Incidentally the Berkeley family from Berkeley in Gloucestershire were said to be able to hunt on their land which stretched between Bristol and London which was entirely in their ownership... I believe Berkeley square and Berkeley University in America have some founding connection with them also.

Perhaps anyone in that area might be ale to expand on this

Last edited:

angelic upstart

Cheers for the responses. I think I get it now.

Silver fox

National Hunt racing traces back to hunting and Point to Point racing which is why it might be thought of as "country" based. That said, there are and have been a number of city racecourses providing the sport over the years. Many of those have fallen to the property developer such as Hurst Park, Birmingham, Manchester.

Any Naps for the Royal Ascot meeting this week Al?

Alistair20000

Any Naps for the Royal Ascot meeting this week Al?
The big handicaps are impossible and the odds will be short in the big Group 1 races. A meeting to watch rather than to bet on but these are possibles:

Short priced Patent on Tuesday in the Group 1 races: Solow, Gleneagles and Sole Power

Wednesday: Ivawood in the Jersey Stakes

Thursday : King of Rooks in the Norfolk Stakes

Silver fox

I think Gleneagles is a give me,(excuse the pun) only decent wedge on for me will be Temptress on the Weds in The Royal Hunt Cup,steam in Al, you heard it here first!

Happy punting (y)

angelic upstart

Avoid sole power, he was awful in his last race.

I fancy Buratino in the 3.05 myself. Out of form Buick riding mind.

angelic upstart

Avoid sole power, he was awful in his last race.

I fancy Buratino in the 3.05 myself. Out of form Buick riding mind.
You can thank me after I give to tomorrow's tips on the betting forum!