• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Great West Run 2016

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Anyone on here taking part in Sunday's race then?

This will be my third consecutive year of running this race, although I must admit I don't feel that I have prepared as well this year as I have done in previous years, so not expecting any PB's - you never know though!

Still, I'll give it my best shot and hope for the best. Good luck to anyone else taking part. [G]

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Anyone on here taking part in Sunday's race then?

This will be my third consecutive year of running this race, although I must admit I don't feel that I have prepared as well this year as I have done in previous years, so not expecting any PB's - you never know though!

Still, I'll give it my best shot and hope for the best. Good luck to anyone else taking part. [G]
I'm too old, fat and unfit for that so I am going to cheer on my daughter and her partner who are running to raise money for ELF.

Are you running in your uniform or in boring running kit Aslan ? :)

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Boring running kit this time I'm afraid, I won't rule out bringing the lion out to play on a race day one day in the future though ;)

feverpitch

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'll be there cheering on Mr FP and a friend of mine. Have been coerced by my kids into doing the "fun" run, two words that have no place adjacent to each other in my vocabulary. Will look out for you both!

What time you aiming for Sums?

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
The first year I did it I ended up with 1:35, beating it last year with 1:29. As I said previously, although I'm still reasonably fit I don't feel as ready or as fit as I did last year, but I think getting under the 1:35 mark is definitely doable. You never know though!

I undertook my final run before race day yesterday taking in part of the course (including the dreaded uni hill!) and somehow managed to get a better pace than I expected, so was quite happy with that. Here's hoping for a good day on Sunday!

Leads

I'm doing it. Did my first half earlier this year, got under 1:45 which I was pleased with. That was a v flat course though and I am not looking forward to the Uni hill, don't think I will be going sub 1:45 this time.

Last edited:

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Best of luck to you Leads, I'm sure you'll get yourself a good time (great first attempt btw) - it's amazing how the nerves and adrenaline spurs you on when it comes to race day to reach goals you don't expect.

Nerves are kicking in for me at the moment, I'm just looking forward to the welcome pint at the end of it!

Red Devon

Yes I'm doing it again it will be my 4th time of which the first two were on the old route...I'll be happy with anything under 2 hours...last year I did a 1:50 don't think I will better that this time though.

grecIAN Harris

My youngest (she's only 8) is running in the family fun run with her school.

sumner7

Administrator
Staff member
Well that was tough!

How did everyone get on? As expected I didn't get any PB's today, but got under the 1:35 that I was aiming for, finishing in 1:34:06.

Great atmosphere and well organised as always, at least the rain held off for the run but it did get a tad blinding with the sun shining into the wet road later on! Also good to grab a bottle of water from our very own Credy on the way out of Stoke Woods!

Still, glad I've done it and the well earned pint has been drunk. Well done to all those who took part. [G]

Last edited: