• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goalkeepers

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
You really do know how to make friends and influence people don’t you! Please show where I have called refs bastards, complained about time wasting in the Portsmouth match or even mentioned the Portsmouth match. From your reply I cannot deduce that you have even read my original post.

Of course I read your post! My comment is based on it! I wasnt however refering just to you with my response. Nearly all of exeweb were at odds with the time that referee added that night. Wind yer neck in!

StudentGrecian

Would much prefer it if possession were reversed ie. waste time at a goal kick = corner to opposition, throw in given to other side etc. Too often the ref actually wastes even more time when booking the offender and then doesn't add that on at he end.
Would also love to see the medic able to come on the pitch at any point (rugby style) thus no need for ref to stop game and Hockey style "in play" substitutions, supervised by the 4th official again meaning no stoppage required and no opportunity for time wasting.
I can't see the rugby style physio idea working. In rugby the play is generally focused in one area and there is time for the medic to come on and aide the player, however football goes back and forth so quickly they'd bound to be in the way more often than not.

I think this whole debate will change every weekend, if you're the ones on the right side of it then its great games management, but if you're on the wrong side then then they're cheats and ref isn't doing enough.
I think the inexperienced boys we had on the pitch during the last 5 mins at Portsmouth could and should have played for time more, it's something all the good teams do. Swindon were wasting a lot of time, but their fans won't be calling them out for it because they were too busy celebrating a win against us. For me its part of the game and something we need to get better at.

robchave

I can't see the rugby style physio idea working. In rugby the play is generally focused in one area and there is time for the medic to come on and aide the player, however football goes back and forth so quickly they'd bound to be in the way more often than not.

I think this whole debate will change every weekend, if you're the ones on the right side of it then its great games management, but if you're on the wrong side then then they're cheats and ref isn't doing enough.
I think the inexperienced boys we had on the pitch during the last 5 mins at Portsmouth could and should have played for time more, it's something all the good teams do. Swindon were wasting a lot of time, but their fans won't be calling them out for it because they were too busy celebrating a win against us. For me its part of the game and something we need to get better at.
Can't really disagree more. Football should be a spectacle and, for me, the spectacle is often ruined by the unlawful tactics of, usually, away teams.
I've got nothing against teams running down the clock, within the rules, but it's the blatant, deliberate, obviously planned 'umlawful' time-wasting, that really spoils things for me. All that could easily be stamped out.

grecianstew

Of course I read your post! My comment is based on it! I wasnt however refering just to you with my response. Nearly all of exeweb were at odds with the time that referee added that night. Wind yer neck in!
A wise sage once told me "not to get in an argument with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with their experience".
I have said my last word.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Can't really disagree more. Football should be a spectacle and, for me, the spectacle is often ruined by the unlawful tactics of, usually, away teams.
I've got nothing against teams running down the clock, within the rules, but it's the blatant, deliberate, obviously planned 'umlawful' time-wasting, that really spoils things for me. All that could easily be stamped out.
Indeed, it's when it becomes so obvious that it's a problem, and refs have licence to act on it but so many don't. The Northampton 8 knew exactly what to do on Saturday, going down a propos of nothing just when we were dominating, taking the sting out of the match. He was clearly under instruction to "be injured" and was earmarked to be subbed, so had to milk it a bit - hence having a "head injury" that caused his legs to stop working three times as he was snail-pacing it off the pitch. By the time he reached the side Northampton shouldn't have been able to make a sub as he'd have been booked twice.

I think we did try to "manage the game" to a certain extent at Portsmouth but not noticeably and certainly not enough for the ref to add five minutes. I have no problem with the added time on top of the added time because there was a goal in that time which will have added some more time to be played.

LDNGrecian

I think an interesting observation to make is that this isn’t really seen as an issue in the premier league or international football. This leads me to believe that nothing will change for the foreseeable future.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I think an interesting observation to make is that this isn’t really seen as an issue in the premier league or international football. This leads me to believe that nothing will change for the foreseeable future.
That could be partly due to the exposure at that level - Wycombe for example always seemed to be better behaved when they had live TV cameras trained on them.

StudentGrecian

3 points is all that matters to me.
I won’t be complaining if we deployed ‘unlawful’ tactics at Home Park to hold on to a win. I’m not sure many will.
I feel as City fans we feel so aggrieved because we haven’t been a side who have used these tactics in recent years.
Refs haven’t punished these tactics for years, let’s use them like everyone else does.

robchave

I appreciate the '3 points is all that matters' attitude, but surely we want people to come and watch football? Too often, I've walked out of games feeling bitter and twisted because of deliberate time wasting, where 'the better team' has not been given the chance to win because of it.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
FAO Pete,

Any thoughts on this keeper ?

I believe she is called Dumper !!!

📝 Match Report: Exeter City Women 2 Larkall Athletic Women 2 - News - Exeter City FC