• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Goalkeeper question

abertom

This is always something been unsure on - what makes a decent keeper good enough for League 1/2 but not say the Championship or a BSP level keeper that isnt good enough for the FL as you'd assume shot stopping, calling for crosses etc is something that's consistent at all levels of the game

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
They've always got a flaw or two at this level.

Jones couldn't kick or control a penalty box. Did rarely make errors with shots and made blinding saves.
Krysiak can't kick. Struggles to catch the ball and control the box but is young.
Hamer was very solid all round, especially kicking and controlling the defence around him.

From what I've seen it is those with the best basic skills who are the best, not those who can make the most spectacular saves.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who would like to see Argyle's Button between the sticks next season. He was a loanee from Spurs that surely wouldn't mind a season at league 1 City rather than sinking to league 2 with that lot. Good kicking and a good shot stopper in my opinion.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is always something been unsure on - what makes a decent keeper good enough for League 1/2 but not say the Championship or a BSP level keeper that isnt good enough for the FL
PeteUSA's approval.

mole221

Who would like to see Argyle's Button between the sticks next season. He was a loanee from Spurs that surely wouldn't mind a season at league 1 City rather than sinking to league 2 with that lot. Good kicking and a good shot stopper in my opinion.
Looked awful on Saturday, his kicking looked a lot worse than Krysiaks

Strongbow

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think a lot of it comes down to consistency

wemissmoxey

Forget these young loaners, just get an experienced keeper in for a year or two who is winding his career down.

ecfctis

I think a lot of it comes down to consistency
Basic ability + plenty of confidence in your self + command your own box = confidence thoughout the back line = less goals conceded.
(Hamer is the closest we have had to this for a while!)

crocks

Forget these young loaners, just get an experienced keeper in for a year or two who is winding his career down.
Shay Given...reckon he could do a job. ;)

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Kyrsiak , Jones & Hamer all = good shot stoppers.

they all have flaws mind in terms of confidence , all round goalkeeping ability , hence why there league 1 goalkeepers.

Out of the 3 , Hamer stands out.

Kelvin Davis at Southampton is the best all round keeper in the division by a country mile.

Id like to see us go get an experienced keeper.