Goalkeeper question

abertom

This is always something been unsure on - what makes a decent keeper good enough for League 1/2 but not say the Championship or a BSP level keeper that isnt good enough for the FL as you'd assume shot stopping, calling for crosses etc is something that's consistent at all levels of the game

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
They've always got a flaw or two at this level.

Jones couldn't kick or control a penalty box. Did rarely make errors with shots and made blinding saves.
Krysiak can't kick. Struggles to catch the ball and control the box but is young.
Hamer was very solid all round, especially kicking and controlling the defence around him.

From what I've seen it is those with the best basic skills who are the best, not those who can make the most spectacular saves.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Who would like to see Argyle's Button between the sticks next season. He was a loanee from Spurs that surely wouldn't mind a season at league 1 City rather than sinking to league 2 with that lot. Good kicking and a good shot stopper in my opinion.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is always something been unsure on - what makes a decent keeper good enough for League 1/2 but not say the Championship or a BSP level keeper that isnt good enough for the FL
PeteUSA's approval.

mole221

Who would like to see Argyle's Button between the sticks next season. He was a loanee from Spurs that surely wouldn't mind a season at league 1 City rather than sinking to league 2 with that lot. Good kicking and a good shot stopper in my opinion.
Looked awful on Saturday, his kicking looked a lot worse than Krysiaks

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Kyrsiak , Jones & Hamer all = good shot stoppers.

they all have flaws mind in terms of confidence , all round goalkeeping ability , hence why there league 1 goalkeepers.

Out of the 3 , Hamer stands out.

Kelvin Davis at Southampton is the best all round keeper in the division by a country mile.

Id like to see us go get an experienced keeper.

malcolms

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forget these young loaners, just get an experienced keeper in for a year or two who is winding his career down.
Absolutely.....the development of your back four/five is affected negatively by having a keeper who is also on a learning curve...better to have an experienced keeper who's been there, done that and give the young players in the back four a verbal kick up the ass when they need it.

EX4 6PX

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me its all about presence. We haven't had a keeper with real presence since Kevin Miller mark 2. Sure we have had the type of keeper who can save penalties and stuff like that, but only Andy Marriott and Ben Hamer have come close, giving a feeling of holding things together at the back. That is something which may be at the heart of conceding so many golas this season and it backs up those who call for an experienced keeper.

In my view, Artur can develop, but he is not ready at the moment to be our No. 1 next season. But City is all about developing young players and so Tis may well persevere.

Snoop Fog

A good keeper needs to be comfortable with the ball at his feet. This was Jones downfall. He was not a natural footballer. Hamer was excellent with the ball at his feet and I beleive Krysiak is pretty good as well, although needs more time to enhance the other aspects of his game.

I think next season we will see Krysiak become a good, consistent keeper.