• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just to improve my comment above, he asked for asylum for 2 reasons, of course : to avoid being extradited to Sweden on the rape charges and further to avoid extradition from Sweden to the US on whatever charges they would lay before him.
As serious as the issue is,it’s a bit of light relief after the political shenanigans of the past few months dominating media.

Diane Abbott has put her size 7s into the issue this morning,more worried about the potential 3rd party US extradition than the charges in Sweden..Whistleblowing & the USA more important than violence against women it would seem.

Last edited:

Terryhall

Point 1: How? If you're talking tariff regimes, remember that the UK is (currently) massively a net importer from the EU. Any extra costs incurred would be more than recouped.
Point 2: Why?
Point 3: See Point 1 re: costs. The length of time it takes to conclude trade deals is because currently we are operating as a diverse entity where the needs of nearly 30 diverse nations (plus subsets - see Wallonia re: Canada) have to be taken into account. The FTA with Mexico, for example, is being held up due to a row with Spain over the production of Manchego.

Personally I don't want to see the UK trading on WTO terms, which is why I'm disappointed May's WA hasn't (yet) been ratified by Parliament. I do, however, wish for the referendum result to be honoured and for the UK to leave the EU.

My reasons for wishing for the UK to leave the EU aren't necessarily economic rather political. Hence why I wish for us to not burn our bridges and to maintain a close trading arrangement that will be to mutual benefit (or at least not to mutual harm).

And I maintain that 10 years after leaving we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
Are you suggesting an increase in trade barriers is beneficial for trade then Jason? I think it's widely recognized to make things more expensive and worse for businesses. You seem to not agree though?

Terryhall

So do you think EU countries, who as a bloc export significantly more to the UK than the UK exports to them, will decide not to bother with one of their key export markets?
This particular snippet of information has been extensively demonstrated to be a clever spin of statistics and not actually true in any meaningful sense of the word.

They will continue to export to the UK, they will continue to import from the UK, there will be increased barriers to that trade, both will be worse off.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Are you suggesting an increase in trade barriers is beneficial for trade then Jason? I think it's widely recognized to make things more expensive and worse for businesses. You seem to not agree though?
I'm not saying it's beneficial to increase barriers to trade, just that as a net importer we'd actually stand to gain financially from a tariff-based arrangement with the EU were reciprocal trading levels to be maintained. However, I don't wish for this to be the case hence why I'd prefer to see the WA ratified and a FTA agreed by the time we exit the withdrawal period.

IndoMike

As serious as the issue is,it’s a bit of light relief after the political shenanigans of the past few months dominating media.

Diane Abbott has put her size 7s into the issue this morning,more worried about the potential 3rd party US extradition than the charges in Sweden..Whistleblowing & the USA more important than violence against women it would seem.
Yes, perhaps Brexit can take a back seat for a few days : we all need a break from it.
Regarding the rape charges, he should face them and Abbott should not be ignoring that. Regarding extradition, the US authorities seem to be focussing on the crime of hacking rather than the content of the hacking, although if they get their hands on him they'll presumably throwing the complete book at him.

IndoMike

May - on the upcoming visit from the young Swedish lass who began the school strikes in support of greater global warming action - condescending and not caring less . I believe May has become quite an unpleasant person

The prime minister declined to say she would meet Thunberg, saying: “I often hear young people tell of the importance of climate change.” May added: “This government has a fine record on climate change.”

However, a government report published on Thursday showed the UK is now set to miss its 2025 and 2030 emissions targets by an even larger margin than before. “Many policies which will affect the 2020s and beyond have not yet been developed to the point at which they can be included in these projections,” it said.

iscalad

May - on the upcoming visit from the young Swedish lass who began the school strikes in support of greater global warming action - condescending and not caring less . I believe May has become quite an unpleasant person

The prime minister declined to say she would meet Thunberg, saying: “I often hear young people tell of the importance of climate change.” May added: “This government has a fine record on climate change.”

However, a government report published on Thursday showed the UK is now set to miss its 2025 and 2030 emissions targets by an even larger margin than before. “Many policies which will affect the 2020s and beyond have not yet been developed to the point at which they can be included in these projections,” it said.
No probs, she'll just ask for an extension.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Nigel's Brek***** Partay launch video...

[video=youtube;v-xLmI352vE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-xLmI352vE[/video]

Last edited:

geoffwp

And I maintain that 10 years after leaving we'll be wondering what all the fuss was about.
That may very well be true for you jason, not necessarily for many others. It takes a Tory brexiteer to tell everyone else how they will be feeling. Im pretty sure my son in law won't be thinking that, if the threat to his job comes about as has been flagged as a possibility. He may yet be facing the potential of having to move or walking away, either scenario having a huge impact on our family. Ah never mind though eh?

Grecian2K

Nigel's Brek**** Partay launch video...

[video=youtube;v-xLmI352vE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-xLmI352vE[/video]
Froggy went a-talking and he just lied
"No shame. No shame"
Froggy went a-sqwaking and the country cried
"More pain. More pain"
Froggy realised he'd lose his EU shilling
But at least he's found one Rees-Mogg who is willing
To help him fill his wallet up
Again. Again.