• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Probably drowned out by all the pronouncements of FREE STUFF! YAY!
Or they could vote conservative next time and inherit a scorched earth, because everything of worth will already be domiciled in a tax haven.

Last edited:

Terryhall

I'd be interested to know the basis on which this assumption is made. Policy-wise the current Conservatives have been very centrist in terms of taxation vs spending and on social policy.

The Greens in this country are very left wing economically, and have been somewhat squeezed by Labour's leftward shift having become something of a home for those who prior to 2015 felt Labour weren't left wing enough.
It's based on the "A" and "B" of my 4 predictions, e.g. (a) a "big name" leave supporter as new Tory leader; (b) a lurch even further to the right from that new leader to head off Farage's "Brexit party"

Terryhall

You're out of date. Since Corbyn was elected and the Lib-Dems melted down there was a shift from Lib Dem to Green and from Green to Corbo-Labour. Now the shine is coming off Corbyn there will be a shift back from Corbo-Labour to Green, while the Greens will still hang on to their Lib Dem legacy votes. See also this
Interesting stuff - could well be then that the same political winds moving Switzerland are already at play to some degree in the UK.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's based on the "A" and "B" of my 4 predictions, e.g. (a) a "big name" leave supporter as new Tory leader; (b) a lurch even further to the right from that new leader to head off Farage's "Brexit party"
I was referring to your inference that the Conservatives have lurched to the right (or however you phrased it that I highlighted in bold).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting stuff - could well be then that the same political winds moving Switzerland are already at play to some degree in the UK.
They're not, no. Arthur is, to my mind at least, making stuff up. There is little evidence from polling to back up his assertion.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Or they could vote conservative next time and inherit a scorched earth, because everything of worth will already be domiciled in a tax haven.
Really? Is that the best you could come up with? I'm disappointed in you.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was referring to your inference that the Conservatives have lurched to the right (or however you phrased it that I highlighted in bold).
Much as my dislike for the Tories I don't think they will "Lurch to the right" In "Normal" times those on the right in the Tories are a noisy minority but May is so weak it has emboldened them and when she goes and the WA is sorted they will go back to being a little nuisance when the word Europe pops up

DB9

And Jason has said many times BJ and JRM aren't as popular in the HOC than they are in the constiuencys, They have to get past other MP's to get a shot at the leaders job

IndoMike

Probably drowned out by all the pronouncements of FREE STUFF! YAY!
I don't think you should dismiss the voice of our younger voters or suggest that they are naive enough to be fooled by anyone bearing gifts. Lets be honest, many of them are more intelligent and more sophisticated than we are , after having been brought up in a more socially and technologically complex world than we are. Yours is the kind of comment that would put them off the Conservative party.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Really? Is that the best you could come up with? I'm disappointed in you.
No you aren't Jason. I just thought it the alt reply to your "free stuff" gibberish. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.