• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Are you going to put your name forward?
Ha, no! Aside from having no geographical connection to any of the constituencies, I'm sure the party can find far more capable people than myself to serve them!

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
The irony that the TIGs are largely the "People's Vote" mob and yet are denying their constituents a vote to agree about their change of party has not been lost on many...!.
Just interested in the logistics of their resigning and fighting byelections. Are you seriously suggesting they resign now and absent themselves from Parliament fewer than 40 days before Brexit?

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ha, no! Aside from having no geographical connection to any of the constituencies, I'm sure the party can find far more capable people than myself to serve them!
A glance around the Tory front and back benches suggests you are being overly modest. Gavin Williamson? Peter Bone? Andd, of course, the intellectual giant that is Marcus Fysh

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Just interested in the logistics of their resigning and fighting byelections. Are you seriously suggesting they resign now and absent themselves from Parliament fewer than 40 days before Brexit?
Well yeah, there is that, but it all comes down to whether you elect the individual or the party - and it's a very nuanced argument therein with decent arguments on both sides.

Personally (and I can see the other side of the argument too) I'd see anyone defecting being forced to call a by-election.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
The irony that the TIGs are largely the "People's Vote" mob and yet are denying their constituents a vote to agree about their change of party has not been lost on many...!

I agree anyway that the 11 will not be the last (on either side). From our benches my expectation would be to see Lee, Grieve and Greening go in the short term at least.
The only really interesting point on the Labour benches will be if you end up with folks like Tom Watson using this as an opportunity for coup 2: electric boogaloo. Folks like him going would actually promote this from a few stragglers who've been a pain in the arse for months going to an actual factual party split.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've decided I'll stand for the independent group in my constituency. But as I have often said, we would elect a cabbage if it wore a blue rosette (in fact said cabbage would probably do a better job, and wouldn't be a sexist pig), so I will need a guarantee from Chuka he will underwrite my deposit.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The only really interesting point on the Labour benches will be if you end up with folks like Tom Watson using this as an opportunity for coup 2: electric boogaloo. Folks like him going would actually promote this from a few stragglers who've been a pain in the arse for months going to an actual factual party split.
Tom Watson will be in it for Tom Watson.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
How about Crabby!

Conservative Party cannot afford to lose someone like @Anna_Soubry. She has a far better grasp of true conservatism than many of those who have tried to make her life hell over Brexit.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've decided I'll stand for the independent group in my constituency. But as I have often said, we would elect a cabbage if it wore a blue rosette (in fact said cabbage would probably do a better job, and wouldn't be a sexist pig), so I will need a guarantee from Chuka he will underwrite my deposit.
Just missed a call from an unknown number as well, I'm assuming it was Chuka.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
I'm interested to see what their selection process will be - would wager it won't be particularly fair or open.

Tom Watson will be in it for Tom Watson.
Yeah. Tom Watson is a real shame, he does some astounding advocacy in a number of really under-represented areas but is, by all accounts, an absolute unmentionable

Status
Not open for further replies.