• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
48 letters into the 1922 committee by the weekend. Good news. May must go.
Again, Laddie. that is the view of one person as per his unnamed source. It might happen, but it's not fact. But if she was toppled, which Tory would be brave enough to replace her in the knowledge that they might lose a forthcoming election? Or is that not the correct sequence of events? I'm all ears if you can educate me on what will happen

Last edited:

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
given who it is, i'll believe it when i see it.
Likewise. John Rentoul's response probably about right though were this to happen.

elginCity

Er, that's from 2013 when he was considered a "Reluctant Remainer". EDIT: Lest we forget, his decision to campaign for Brexit was predicated upon the result of Dave's negotiations. When he came back with a slip of white paper declaring "peace in our time", that was when his hand was forced.
Eurosceptic Cameron's unilateral demands for "special status" EU28 Treaty change was met with the polite contempt it deserved, as he and Johnson knew it would.

Johnson switched to Leave at the 11th hour when he sniffed an opportunity for leadership, pure and simple. "his hand was forced" (rofl)

ExeterCityLad

Eurosceptic Cameron's
You've confused me here.

IndoMike

Eurosceptic Cameron's unilateral demands for "special status" EU28 Treaty change was met with the polite contempt it deserved, as he and Johnson knew it would.

Johnson switched to Leave at the 11th hour when he sniffed an opportunity for leadership, pure and simple. "his hand was forced" (rofl)
I was just about to type something similar when you said it first. Pure political ambition : nothing about principles at all. Which will be the guiding light for most Tories - will supporting Teresa's draft enhance their chances of reelection or damage them..

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose people weren't keeping an eye on his pronounced Euroscepticism prior to the referendum then. Maybe take a gander at some of his speeches around 2014.

elginCity

You've confused me here.
Research ECR, ECL.

A leopard doesn't change its spots, unless it's called Boris !

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Just for the record, his Conservative conference speech 2014:

http://press.conservatives.com/post/98800242450/boris-johnson-speech-to-conservative-party

Boris said:
And the last thing we need is more regulation from Brussels. And in common with many other people around the EU I want reform not just of the CAP that costs every family £400 per year in extra food costs; not just of the Common Fisheries Policy; I want to change the whole mentality that persuades Brussels that it can tell us how powerful our vacuum cleaners should be.

And there is only one leader who can deliver that reform. One man with the experience and respect in Europe to make the case, and then take that case to the people of this country in the In Out referendum that we have been denied for 40 years. And that man is not Salmond or Clegg or Farage or Miliband - because not one of them will give us a referendum. That man is David Cameron. The man who has the natural authority around that table in Brussels that goes with the leadership of the fastest-growing economy, and the man who is going to lead this country into 2015 and beyond.

And that’s our new Fisheries policy, folks - first chuck Salmond overboard and then eat the kippers for breakfast. We will fight them on the beaches of Clacton and of Rochester and Strood as well.
And in 2015:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/10/full-text-boris-johnson-2015-conservative-conference-speech/

Boris said:
And if people are to be loyal to those ideas then it is vital that our democracy is healthy, and vibrant, and truly representative and that means getting the right deal now from our EU partners, as I know David Cameron can, helping to restore trust in parliament by making sure that new laws affecting the British public are made by people the British public can kick out at elections.

And it should be up to this parliament and this country – not to Jean-Claude Juncker – to decide if too many people are coming here. Because it is not that we object to immigration in itself – I speak as the proud great grandson of a Turk who fled his country in fear of his life, to Wimbledon for some reason (and who was then assassinated by his political opponents – a fate I intend to avoid). It is about who decides; it is about who is ultimately responsible; it is about control. And you will loosen the bonds that should unite society if people feel that their elected politicians have abdicated their ability to control those things that ought frankly to be within their power. And when you look at what is happening in Greece, where economic independence is being sacrificed on the altar of the euro you could not say that democracy in Europe was in good health and we should be sticking up for it, as we have in the last hundred years.

elginCity

"...eat the kippers for breakfast. We will fight them on the beaches of Clacton and of Rochester and Strood as well..."

...and then I'll become (when it suits me) the 'kippers Eurosceptic figurehead for the Leave campaign.

I admire your blind faith and loyalty to the Bullingdon Club chancers, Jason, but I'll never share it !

Terryhall

I was just about to type something similar when you said it first. Pure political ambition : nothing about principles at all. Which will be the guiding light for most Tories - will supporting Teresa's draft enhance their chances of reelection or damage them..
Also for the DUP, their spokesman (Jeffries/Jeffers/Jefferson? Actually a bit embarrassed that I can't recall his name, but anyway) said today when asked if they would support the deal in a parliamentary vote that they aren't afraid of a General Election. Which at least calls it like it is, they don't actually give a flyer about the long term political impact for the UK, NI or even their constituents, what they care about is if they can make it work at the ballot box in the next election. Narrow vision short term politics of the worst kind.

EDIT - Jeffrey Donaldson, had to google it, was mixing up first and last names, no wonder I couldn't place it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.