• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
17.4m voted to leave the EU. Within that group, there will be some who wanted to leave without a deal on WTO terms (e.g. Lad), and some who wanted a full deal with the EU to make the best of the situation (e.g. May and others in official positions to have an impact on negotiations).

I remain thankful that this is the case.
You're not wrong. But unfortunately I think there are enough on both sides of the divide who will not accept this deal, for whatever reason.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
So let me get this right - May is propsoing we stay in the Customs Union whilst doing away with free movement? Even it this was somehow to get through Parliament, does she realise the EU would never accept it? Were they to accept it, lots of other countries would want to do the same. We're either in or out, not having the best of both worlds. Or is it me missing something?
Given the EU drafted the text with the UK, I suspect it has already been agreed to a certain degree. Whether it gets past the 27 states is another matter, of course.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Given the EU drafted the text with the UK, I suspect it has already been agreed to a certain degree. Whether it gets past the 27 states is another matter, of course.
OK, at least Italy, I imagine, would accept it, because they'll want it next!

Last edited:

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
So let me get this right - May is propsoing we stay in the Customs Union whilst doing away with free movement? Even it this was somehow to get through Parliament, does she realise the EU would never accept it? Were they to accept it, lots of other countries would want to do the same. We're either in or out, not having the best of both worlds. Or is it me missing something?
We don't know the details, but they're talking about alignment rather than membership. From what I read this agreement doesn't actually cover our future trade relationship, which is still to be negotiated.

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
EU will be over the moon with that agreement. Populist movements elsewhere might look at it and go "yeah we'll have some of that" but even populist governments are going to look at that and go "uh, why would we give up a seat at the table for that?".

It's not like Italy's focus on immigration is centred on the EU; their focus is North Africa.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Meanwhile the trial of the MP for Peterborough has started. Going by this article, I'm somewhat concerned that Hiram Boateng's "injury" is no such thing and he has been giving false details as "Festus Onasanya" which will lead to him spending time in chokey:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46200100

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Meanwhile the trial of the MP for Peterborough has started. Going by this article, I'm somewhat concerned that Hiram Boateng's "injury" is no such thing and he has been giving false details as "Festus Onasanya" which will lead to him spending time in chokey:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-46200100
I see another of Corbyn's generals given a bit of coverage in the Wail yesterday: Kate Osamor found to be linving in a £750k council house with her drug dealer son despite them collectively earning close to £150k pa (he works for her as a parliamentary aide despite his conviction). Something King Jez could probably do without right now.

mfcrocker

I see another of Corbyn's generals given a bit of coverage in the Wail yesterday: Kate Osamor found to be linving in a £750k council house with her drug dealer son despite them collectively earning close to £150k pa (he works for her as a parliamentary aide despite his conviction). Something King Jez could probably do without right now.
This is the absolute best time for any party to bury bad news, you'll end up as a footnote on page 26 regardless of what it is.

mfcrocker

I'm getting the feeling this gets through cabinet and dies in Commons, possibly with a cheeky bonus letter flurry to the 1922.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'm getting the feeling this gets through cabinet and dies in Commons, possibly with a cheeky bonus letter flurry to the 1922.
I do wonder if some of the MPs commenting so far have actually read the document. However, it seems the hardcore Brexiteers don't like it because it doesn't deliver Brexit, while the hardcore Remoaners don't like it because it, er, does.

Early signs are the Brexiteers in the cabinet are (even if grudgingly) backing the agreement - the likes of Andrea Leadsom are quite relaxed about it for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.