• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I assume the opposition parties won't get together and attempt to make May look stupid by voting no to a snap election???
Conservatives have a majority in the House of Commons.

StroudGrecian

Conservatives have a majority in the House of Commons.
Think it needs a 2/3rds majority?

iscalad

Think it needs a 2/3rds majority?
Ah, yes my error.:$

Still from the sound of it all party leaders are up for it.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Let the debate commence.....
What debate? There's no debate to have. It's a Tory exercise to rubber stamp their Brexit plans and shut Fish Face up north of the border.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
My wedding anniversary .............. ill be too drunk to vote.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Gobsmacked by the news earlier.

I favour the argument that this is actually about making Brexit 'softer' by not being held to ransom by the 20 or so ultra-right wingers on the Tory back benches for whom a single more £ paid to Brussels will represent a cop-out. Having a larger Tory majority should enable May and Bojo to ignore them, although of course Davis is one of them!

Her gamble is that she will get a larger majority. Very hard for sitting Labour MP's (who less than 12 months ago voted 172 to 40 in favour of a motion of no-confidence in their leader) to now argue that the very same leader should now be prime minister. Either they were collectively wrong and JC has changed his leadership style/policies (he hasn't) or they are right. Can't be both.

SNP can't pick up anymore seats in Scotland so that really leaves the Lib Dems and how many anti-Brexit / anti-Tory / both seats they pick up. 20? 30?

God help us if we have a Conservative majority but not enough to form a Government. Even Norman Lamb (Lib Dem) said tonight Corbyn would be a disaster but how can they prop up a Tory administration they disagree with so completely over Brexit.

Interesting times, again

Alistair20000

I assume the opposition parties won't get together and attempt to make May look stupid by voting no to a snap election???
Having said they want to get rid of the Government and now have an opportunity to do that if they can persuade the great unwashed it would be them and not Teaser who looked stupid if they took that line.

Alistair20000

Disagree entirely. There's only one result on the table and that's a Tory majority. The question is how much?

Labour, even with their current malaise, will easily get 50 seats. And they were always going to lose Copeland (and cling on to Stoke).

I think the Tories will get around a 100-120 seat majority.

Labour will lose around 60-70 seats and the Lib Dems will gain 10-20. The SNP will hold strong. UKIP may surprise with 1 or 2 gains. As may Aaron Banks with whatever he's concocting.
Well Jinxster, you did me a good 'un with our respective projections in 2015 on the number of Lib Dem seats. This time I am going 24-34 with 15-25 gains. I think Labour may do a bit better than you think 30 - 35 losses, no seats for UKIP unless Rubber Face comes back to have a go in a Labour seat, possible clean sweep for Jimmy Crankie and a Tory majority of less than 50. 1 or 2 Greens.

Are we on ?

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Gobsmacked by the news earlier.

I favour the argument that this is actually about making Brexit 'softer' by not being held to ransom by the 20 or so ultra-right wingers on the Tory back benches for whom a single more £ paid to Brussels will represent a cop-out. Having a larger Tory majority should enable May and Bojo to ignore them, although of course Davis is one of them!

Her gamble is that she will get a larger majority. Very hard for sitting Labour MP's (who less than 12 months ago voted 172 to 40 in favour of a motion of no-confidence in their leader) to now argue that the very same leader should now be prime minister. Either they were collectively wrong and JC has changed his leadership style/policies (he hasn't) or they are right. Can't be both.

SNP can't pick up anymore seats in Scotland so that really leaves the Lib Dems and how many anti-Brexit / anti-Tory / both seats they pick up. 20? 30?

God help us if we have a Conservative majority but not enough to form a Government. Even Norman Lamb (Lib Dem) said tonight Corbyn would be a disaster but how can they prop up a Tory administration they disagree with so completely over Brexit.

Interesting times, again
I think there may be something in the point highlighted.

I assume in your penultimate paragraph you mean Con as largest party and no overall majority ?

Last edited:

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
... possible clean sweep for Jimmy Crankie ...
I'm not entirely convinced. I think the SNP will lose some seats, they're not as popular as they believe themselves to be. The Conservatives may even double their base there ...

Status
Not open for further replies.