• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The only way a Tory majority could possibly be prevented is if Labour, Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and Plaid formed a progressive alliance that ensured they would not stand against each other in certain marginal seats, and could form a coalition if they succeeded in preventing a Tory majority. But it's wishful thinking on my part I think.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
The only way a Tory majority could possibly be prevented is if Labour, Lib Dems, Greens, SNP and Plaid formed a progressive alliance that ensured they would not stand against each other in certain marginal seats, and could form a coalition if they succeeded in preventing a Tory majority. But it's wishful thinking on my part I think.
My God, think of the fall out if such a thing came to pass and they won a majority. Enough to keep us amused for at least 6 months till the next GE.

Mr Jinx

I think this is a mistake from May. She didn't need to call it and she could've had Corbyn at Labour's helm for another 3 years to make sure they'd be completely destroyed at the end of it and facing a very long way back for 2025.

By calling it now Corbyn has only 50 days left as Leader before being ousted for good. Then you'd have to assume Labour would get a much stronger Leader in charge ready to fight again in 2020.

She may have effectively cost the Tories 5 plus extra years in power.

Not that I care. For the first time ever I think, I'm struggling to decide who to vote for. I currently have no idea. I might not even bother.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Do Labour have a much stronger leader-in-waiting? I did have hopes for Mr Corbyn when he assumed the mantle but, clearly, it hasn't worked out so well.

Mr Jinx

I did have hopes for Mr Corbyn
What hopes exactly? It's turned out exactly as I'd expected for him.

Nothing should surprise us any more and literally any result is on the table.

I can see Labour struggling to get 50 seats (and that's speaking as a supporter and party member!) - Tories and UKIP will destroy it in the North and Lib Dems will take many votes from them in the South and in the cities - particularly if they go for broke with a 'revoke Article 50' ticket.

Sound unlikely? - so did losing Copeland until it happened. Regrettably - why would anyone vote Labour at the moment? Just need to hope there's a party left for someone half sensible - and with a seat - to lead come June 9th.

Mr Jinx

Nothing should surprise us any more and literally any result is on the table.

I can see Labour struggling to get 50 seats (and that's speaking as a supporter and party member!) - Tories and UKIP will destroy it in the North and Lib Dems will take many votes from them in the South and in the cities - particularly if they go for broke with a 'revoke Article 50' ticket.

Sound unlikely? - so did losing Copeland until it happened. Regrettably - why would anyone vote Labour at the moment? Just need to hope there's a party left for someone half sensible - and with a seat - to lead come June 9th.
Disagree entirely. There's only one result on the table and that's a Tory majority. The question is how much?

Labour, even with their current malaise, will easily get 50 seats. And they were always going to lose Copeland (and cling on to Stoke).

I think the Tories will get around a 100-120 seat majority.

Labour will lose around 60-70 seats and the Lib Dems will gain 10-20. The SNP will hold strong. UKIP may surprise with 1 or 2 gains. As may Aaron Banks with whatever he's concocting.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

Anyway get the popcorn out, time for 100 pages or so on this thread...
Yep,looking forward to reading the debate...Prefer to read the various opinions expressed on this forum than listen to the b@ll@cks reported on mainstream news TV (Kunesburg,Burley & the like)

Oldsmobile-88

Only if I were a betting man Al. Physically she is one of the most repulsive people I've ever had the misfortune to espy. I think I'd prefer to share a post-coital ciggie with Jezza.
Ha..Made i larf....Well I suppose Jezza is more blond than grey. (If that rocks your boat :D)

Steve H

I assume the opposition parties won't get together and attempt to make May look stupid by voting no to a snap election???

Status
Not open for further replies.