• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

General Election - 8thJune

Status
Not open for further replies.

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
And Jason has said many times BJ and JRM aren't as popular in the HOC than they are in the constiuencys, They have to get past other MP's to get a shot at the leaders job
I'm not sure how popular JRM is in his own constituency. I'm eagerly anticipating Liam Fox, Boris Johnson and him all losing their seats at the next election....

IndoMike

I'm not sure how popular JRM is in his own constituency. I'm eagerly anticipating Liam Fox, Boris Johnson and him all losing their seats at the next election....
Two empty vessels who self-promote based on a certain image and one incompetent bs -er who promised 40+ trade deals by March 31st yet has only negotiated 5 or 6 minor deals.
Hopefully the electorate will see though their opportunism and pomposity and reject them.

geoffwp

Probably drowned out by all the pronouncements of FREE STUFF! YAY!
A foolish snide comment that doesnt become you jason. How about simply the idea of a party commited to a fairer society after years of putting the wealthy first. Personally i have yet to meet a dyed in the wool Tory who has much of a social conscience.

elginCity

Unlikely, but wouldn't it be great ? The Beaconsfield vote of no confidence in Dominic Grieve proves there's still plenty of active Brexit ultras, despite everything.

Hopefully, with any extension and forced Euro elections, complacent remainers will mobilise and drain the swamp of UKIP reps.

DB9

Unlikely, but wouldn't it be great ? The Beaconsfield vote of no confidence in Dominic Grieve proves there's still plenty of active Brexit ultras, despite everything.

Hopefully, with any extension and forced Euro elections, complacent remainers will mobilise and drain the swamp of UKIP reps.
If we end up with the Euro elections don't forget it's the older voter that votes and since everyone said the oldies voted for Brexit they might be likely to vote for a Brexit party, The younger ones need to get their arses into gear since they are less likely to vote. If they had bothered in bigger numbers perhaps remain would have won

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
A foolish snide comment that doesnt become you jason. How about simply the idea of a party commited to a fairer society after years of putting the wealthy first. Personally i have yet to meet a dyed in the wool Tory who has much of a social conscience.
The rhetoric is nice but it ain't really borne out by the facts.

How many votes did the Glorious Leader's promise (oh, sorry, it was an "ambition" - when someone says "I'll deal with it" they don't actually mean to do anything, that's crystal clear) to wipe out student debt win? I'd hazard a guess Canterbury wouldn't have turned red (for example).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
JRM has turned NE Somerset into a safe Conservative constituency having inherited a Labour marginal (with a couple of Con-LD marginal Bath wards), so I suspect he's popular enough there. Fox has a 17k majority - were he to lose that it would mean the Conservatives shrinking in seats to about what the LDs have today.

Boris is another story - he's in a seat trending towards Labour which might, with a lower profile candidate, have fallen to Labour in 2017 (in fact I'm quite surprised it's a Conservative seat as it hosts a large university and South Ruislip ain't really fertile Conservative territory). He might be squeaky of bum in 2022 (or whenever the next GE will be) depending on the overall political outlook.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
While Boris has had (another) slap on the wrists over his dodgy accounting, the Glorious Leader has been reported over submitting dodgy numbers for *that* trip to Tunisia in 2014.

arthur

JRM has turned NE Somerset into a safe Conservative constituency having inherited a Labour marginal (with a couple of Con-LD marginal Bath wards), so I suspect he's popular enough there. Fox has a 17k majority - were he to lose that it would mean the Conservatives shrinking in seats to about what the LDs have today.

Boris is another story - he's in a seat trending towards Labour which might, with a lower profile candidate, have fallen to Labour in 2017 (in fact I'm quite surprised it's a Conservative seat as it hosts a large university and South Ruislip ain't really fertile Conservative territory). He might be squeaky of bum in 2022 (or whenever the next GE will be) depending on the overall political outlook.
Yes, it's a pity about Fox - given the vast number of Bristol commuters (Portishead, Nailsea etc.) you'd have thought he'd face a tougher challenge.

Can you indulge another of my fantasies, that Dominic Grieve stands as an Independent in Beaconsfield. I'm pretty sure he'd win fairly handsomely...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it's a pity about Fox - given the vast number of Bristol commuters (Portishead, Nailsea etc.) you'd have thought he'd face a tougher challenge.

Can you indulge another of my fantasies, that Dominic Grieve stands as an Independent in Beaconsfield. I'm pretty sure he'd win fairly handsomely...
I doubt it - it's a case of whether it's he or the party that voters vote for. Until he became a bit of a lunatic EU-wise, he was no doubt a very popular figure within the party.

His constituency was 51-49 in favour of Remain, so he would need a substantial personal vote to carry the constituency as an independent. I don't think he has this (at least not to the extent that he'd win without party backing). He has increased his vote share in every election but it's still below the peak achieved by his predecessor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.