• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dickensian levels of poverty ? Really ?
This is where you and to be honest many others reveal your disconnect with what is reality for hundreds of thousands of people.
To focus on semantics rather than the real issue tells the story. In terms of context it could be argued that it is relatively Dickensian, but the point is that it is not good enough that in the year (almost) 2020 thousands upon thousands have to rely on food banks.
There is a poverty trap which many people get caught in through no fault of their own : just surviving is their problem. "Go and get a job!" - even that can be a costly exercise which a lot of people can't afford.
It's true that if you have never experienced such financial difficulties perhaps you cannot be expected to understand, in which case it's better to zip it

Rosencrantz

......... you don't do patriotism. Nothing wrong with that. However plenty of people do, and this seems to irritate you as it does many with left leaning politics.
I have regularly proffered the widespread opinion that Labour does not understand the socially conservative, white patriotic working class, this was borne out with the GE result IMO.
Patriotism to me is the desire to be proud in your country. It doesn't mean that you cannot voice your displeasure on those who you feel have showed your country in a poor light. That is more subjective but it isn't necessarily hating your country.

Mr Jinx

Somehow, Laura Pidcock appeared on my facebook feed saying that I should tell everyone I know to watch this short film. Worthy, dull and depressing - it summed up the Labour campaign perfectly. Make your base feel outraged and energised and don't give a second thought as to whether ordinary people leading ordinary lives in ordinary places could relate to it in any way. The idea that in order to win elections you need to speak to people who don't normally vote for you and win them over is entirely lost on these people. Thank the Lord she's gone...

Yes, the Brexit Party saved Yvette Cooper and the Labour man in Hartlepool. At the same time it enabled Tory wins in other seats and the Lib Dems helped the Tories win back Kensington. Swings and Roundabouts. FPTP sucks
I don't think TBP saved their arses tbh. There are many ex Labour voters especially up North that just would never vote Tory whatever happened. TBP just gave them an alternative avenue. But for Labour to lose those hardcore votes in the first place should have been cause for concern.

arthur

......... you don't do patriotism. Nothing wrong with that. However plenty of people do, and this seems to irritate you as it does many with left leaning politics.
I have regularly proffered the widespread opinion that Labour does not understand the socially conservative, white patriotic working class, this was borne out with the GE result IMO.
It doesn't irritate me, it's just not my drug of choice.. A bit like Mars bars

I agree with your widespread opinion. The point is that you don't have to agree with someone, just understand them and let them know this. You and I can both agree that Corbyn's Labour party has spectacularly failed to do that. Can we be friends now?

elginCity

Elgin doesn’t get it. Shame.
Maybe, perhaps you'll explain.

I've a hunch you'd describe the Tory-backing Tommy Robinson as a 'white, working class patriot', but I wouldn't. I could just as easily describe myself as a 'white, working class patriot' who happened to vote Labour. Think we should be clearer on our descriptors.

Oldsmobile-88

UK General Election under Proportional Representation.

It’s never going to happen,but interesting all the same.
CON: 285 (-80)

LAB: 211 (+9)

LDM: 75 (+64)

SNP: 27 (-21)

GRN: 16 (+15)

BXP: 13 (+13)

DUP: 6 (-2)

PLC: 4 (=)

SF: 4 (-3)

SDLP: 3 (+1)

UUP: 2 (+2)

tavyred

Maybe, perhaps you'll explain.
It's just that in the aftermath of a quite extraordinary GE result where one of the defining characteristics was the quite significant abandonment of Labour by part of its traditional core vote, predictably you resort to the tired old Remainer arguments about Brexit. You don't get to define what patriotism or nationalism is for me, for a start I don't think you possess the self awareness to think outside the leftist dogma that dominates your everyday thinking anyway.

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Al, leaving aside the homeless, the displaced, disabled and unemployed, many people in low paid full time work who rent privately and pay their utility bills/taxes have to make a choice of heat or eat with whatever pittance is left over, where foodbanks etc. are now a way of life. I know such people, decent folk, and it's a serious challenge keeping their head above water. Dickensian or not, it's just not right.
Elgin, I appreciate you and IndoMike bring up a similar point and quite rightly so on this matter.
However, I just wanted to add a little balance to this. Labour are no saints. They are not the loving caring guardians of the unemployed, the poor, the homeless, or the disabled that you would like people to believe. They can be just as nasty and evil as any other group of politicians.
In 2008 Labour launched a direct attack on the unemployed and the disabled through the introduction of truly Dickensian methods. I know, because that's the time I first became ill with a serious condition. In 2008 and 2009 I was forced to survive on handouts and food parcels sent by friends. They also sent me extra blankets - no money available for luxuries like heating! This was under a Labour government.
I have not voted for them since and it'll probably be a long time yet before they get my vote again. Some scars don't heal that easily.

Alistair20000

UK General Election under Proportional Representation.

It’s never going to happen,but interesting all the same.
CON: 285 (-80)

LAB: 211 (+9)

LDM: 75 (+64)

SNP: 27 (-21)

GRN: 16 (+15)

BXP: 13 (+13)

DUP: 6 (-2)

PLC: 4 (=)

SF: 4 (-3)

SDLP: 3 (+1)

UUP: 2 (+2)
How do you put together a functional government from that ?

Mr Jinx

One thing that's perhaps been a bit overlooked in the last 36 hours is the LibDem situation and the demise of Jo Swinson.

It may sound odd coming from a Leaver but I feel quite sorry for them and her. Some people are saying she was the evening's Portillo moment but I watched it and took no joy whatsoever in seeing her lose her seat (unlike Sturgeon whose reaction I found despicable).

Some say their cancel Brexit stance was their undoing, but at least they had clear views and were passionate about it. I watched the debates and I didn't think Swinson was the car crash that everyone was saying. She was a little naïve perhaps but she was energetic and youthful unlike Cable who'd become a bit fusty.

Anyway, all history now, and so where do they go from here? Layla Moran seems to be the strong favourite to become their next Leader, but I think she comes across a bit haughty. She's not going to win them many seats imho.