• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GENERAL ELECTION 2019

Leads

Not allowed to since I'm now a member of a party.

I'm wondering if I can blag a pass to the count to act as a count scrutiniser. Otherwise it's a pot of coffee and the BBC for the first time since, I think, 2001.
I'd imagine you should be able to get a pass- is there a specific allocation? When I was campaign organiser in the 2015 election it was literally just me, the election agent (who knocked off early) and the candidate, no one else wanted to come. The result wasn't announced until about midday on Friday, so it was a pretty long day. I'd rather have been at home with a pot of coffee!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Don't be fooled by the Tories !
They're not clever : most of them got where they are through "it's not what you know but who you know".
And they don't care about the people. They really don't. Well, just a small subset of the people.
Tell me a politician that hasn't. There isn't a politician out there who cares for what the people want otherwise Brexit would be done and dusted by now and we would be voting for the party to lead us forward. They've voted for how they feel not how their constituancy feels that they are supposed to be representing. All we're going to be voting for now is which way you want to balance yet another hung parliament that's going to screw us all over for another God knows how long on Brexit. Scrap the election and give the people the referendum again based on the facts of the deal BJ has delivered. Deal, no deal or remain. Whatever the outcome, that is where we go. Then we have an election for the people to decide who we want to lead us down the chosen path not before.

Bittners a Legend

Politicians and activists of all parties should be able to go about their business without fear of intimidation.
I could not agree with you more on this.

They also, however, need to be the ones to take responsibility for the tone of debate in the first place. Anger has been stirred up in this country by the lies, games and manipulations of politicians and the press. There are very few in politics who give the impression of being genuinely kind anymore*.

*to be clear I'm referring to politicians, journalists and advisers, not local activists.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I'd imagine you should be able to get a pass- is there a specific allocation? When I was campaign organiser in the 2015 election it was literally just me, the election agent (who knocked off early) and the candidate, no one else wanted to come. The result wasn't announced until about midday on Friday, so it was a pretty long day. I'd rather have been at home with a pot of coffee!
At previous elections there have been a large number (from all parties) at the count so demand is there - plus with counting two constituencies under the same roof it can get a bit cramped. Our counts also seem to attract interest from foreign broadcasters (there's an Asian channel that seemed to have rolling live coverage of our counts the last couple of times!). With this being my first GE since joining the party I'm not sure how allocation works.

Our results are normally in around 3-4am.

Bittners a Legend

Tell me a politician that hasn't. There isn't a politician out there who cares for what the people want otherwise Brexit would be done and dusted by now and we would be voting for the party to lead us forward. They've voted for how they feel not how their constituancy feels that they are supposed to be representing. All we're going to be voting for now is which way you want to balance yet another hung parliament that's going to screw us all over for another God knows how long on Brexit. Scrap the election and give the people the referendum again based on the facts of the deal BJ has delivered. Deal, no deal or remain. Whatever the outcome, that is where we go. Then we have an election for the people to decide who we want to lead us down the chosen path not before.
What do "the people" want? There isn't anything close to a consensus on what Brexit should look like. If you believe the polls there isn't even a majority for Brexit anymore. Parliament reflects the reality of the public, which is that nobody can agree what Brexit should look like or if we should do it, and many of the opinions on the issue are based on lies trotted out on a regular basis by the irresponsible excuse for journalists and politicians in this country.

I agree with you that we need another referendum to break the impasse but regardless of the result of it, the issue won't be settled because people en masse still believe the lies. In fact you yourself seem to believe one of them in concluding that Brexit would be "done and dusted" if politicians cared for the people. Of course the irony is, no matter what you think of our MPs, the reason it isn't dusted is because politicians care. None of them will be harmed in any serious financial sense by the outcome of a bad Brexit.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
I could not agree with you more on this.

They also, however, need to be the ones to take responsibility for the tone of debate in the first place. Anger has been stirred up in this country by the lies, games and manipulations of politicians and the press. There are very few in politics who give the impression of being genuinely kind anymore*.

*to be clear I'm referring to politicians, journalists and advisers, not local activists.
The MPs I've met all seem to be nice people (admittedly I've not met some of the "firebrand" types that exist across all the major parties), but I agree the tone generally needs to be a bit more conciliatory. The one that really makes me laugh* is Jess Phillips, who is a properly nasty piece of work yet was shouting loudly about the abuse she has received.

*Not out loud!

DB9

In my time I've also met a few MP's and like you say Jason they come across as nice people but it seems especially recently that as soon as they're in the Palace of Westminster they seem to lose decency and come out with inflammatory language which is awful in this charged atmosphere

Bittners a Legend

The MPs I've met all seem to be nice people (admittedly I've not met some of the "firebrand" types that exist across all the major parties), but I agree the tone generally needs to be a bit more conciliatory. The one that really makes me laugh* is Jess Phillips, who is a properly nasty piece of work yet was shouting loudly about the abuse she has received.

*Not out loud!
Sorry perhaps I wasn't clear - I don't doubt that most are kind people in life generally but I meant there is a lack of kindness within politics. The tone is largely appalling and as I say that seems to be extending to journalists and their use of language too.

Leads

At previous elections there have been a large number (from all parties) at the count so demand is there - plus with counting two constituencies under the same roof it can get a bit cramped. Our counts also seem to attract interest from foreign broadcasters (there's an Asian channel that seemed to have rolling live coverage of our counts the last couple of times!). With this being my first GE since joining the party I'm not sure how allocation works.

Our results are normally in around 3-4am.
Ah. Things are a little different in Central Devon!

grecIAN Harris

What do "the people" want? There isn't anything close to a consensus on what Brexit should look like. If you believe the polls there isn't even a majority for Brexit anymore. Parliament reflects the reality of the public, which is that nobody can agree what Brexit should look like or if we should do it, and many of the opinions on the issue are based on lies trotted out on a regular basis by the irresponsible excuse for journalists and politicians in this country.

I agree with you that we need another referendum to break the impasse but regardless of the result of it, the issue won't be settled because people en masse still believe the lies. In fact you yourself seem to believe one of them in concluding that Brexit would be "done and dusted" if politicians cared for the people. Of course the irony is, no matter what you think of our MPs, the reason it isn't dusted is because politicians care. None of them will be harmed in any serious financial sense by the outcome of a bad Brexit.
If there isn't a majority for it then we stay but at least let the people decide that's what we want and then we vote a government in to take us down that path. We'll vote now basically on the Brexit debate because nothing else will get a look in. We'll end up with a hung parliament and go nowhere again for another three/four years just going around and around in every decreasing circles whilst in the meantime screwing the country up because the rest of Europe/World (depending on which side of the fence we do actually end up) can't work with us because it doesn't know what we're going to do. As for politicians caring. No they don't. They take pre-defined career path in the main. Study politics in college. Study politics in University. Get a job in politics. Become an MP. Old school politicians had lived life before they went into politics in the main and understood what the people wanted because they had lived the life of those they represented. They had been about and knew who they were and what they stood for. And when they finally did become MP's they got amongst the people to find out what was required. I live in Cranbrook. I've no idea who my MP is. I have visions it was Hugo Swire at one point but I don't know if it still is. I know more about my next door MP because Ben Bradshaw makes himself available, puts himself about and that is probably why, despite being in a very Tory/Lib Dem region, Labour have held on to Exeter for so long. Not because Ben Bradshaw is Labour but because of how Ben Bradshaw has conducted himself in the time he has been representing the people of Exeter. If only more of our politicians, irrespective of which party and what their politics are, when about being an MP like that.